Definition of people :
1. One's ancestors or family; kindred; relations; as, my people were English.
2. One's subjects; fellow citizens; companions; followers.
3. Persons, generally; an indefinite number of men and women; folks; population, or part of population; as, country people; - sometimes used as an indefinite subject or verb, like on in French, and man in German; as, people in adversity.
4. The body of persons who compose a community, tribe, nation, or race; an aggregate of individuals forming a whole; a community; a nation.
5. The mass of comunity as distinguished from a special class; the commonalty; the populace; the vulgar; the common crowd; as, nobles and people.
6. To stock with people or inhabitants; to fill as with people; to populate.
passel, large number, hoi polloi, heap, dwell, populate, lot, pile, muckle, rank and file, slew, commonalty, plurality, pot, anybody, reside, the great unwashed, domiciliate, plenty, flock, inhabit, domicile, bulk, nation, mountain, tribe, spate, great deal, live, hatful, wad, shack, batch, volume, democracy, stack, population, commons, quite a little, specific, raft, sight, tidy sum, battalion, pack, mickle, mess, everybody, mint, they, good deal, deal, peck, nationality, concourse, state
category (part of speech: noun)
kingdom, order, caste, step, stripe, stock, denomination, taxonomy, genotype, strain, genus, level, brand, rank, classification, ilk, kind, designation, persuasion, class, make, category, degree, breed, form, label, clan, race, series, type, mold, stamp, grain, feather, set, line, family, species, style, phylum, sort, variety, grade
people (part of speech: noun)
mankind (part of speech: noun)