Definition of perambulate :
1. To walk about; to ramble; to stroll; as, he perambulated in the park.
2. To walk through or over; especially, to travel over for the purpose of surveying or examining; to inspect by traversing; specifically, to inspect officially the boundaries of, as of a town or parish, by walking over the whole line.
tramp, wander, pass, navigate, trek, course, walk around, peregrinate, walk about, stray, move, examine, amble, track, tromp, transit, meander, proceed, promenade, study, walk, saunter, go, follow, cut, patrol, stroll, cross, ramble, travel, circumambulate, scan, hike, stride, step, mosey, cover
- The letter was read publicly in the market- place, and to increase the cheerfulness, burgomaster Van der Werf, knowing the sensibility of his countrymen to music, ordered the city musicians to perambulate the streets, playing lively melodies and martial airs. - "The Rise of the Dutch Republic, Volume II.(of III) 1566-74", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: January 25, 2009.
- On those days, you may perambulate in the different rooms of this magnificent establishment; on the other days, walking is here prohibited, in order that students may not be interrupted. - "Paris As It Was and As It Is", Francis W. Blagdon.
- They weren't like our dear old Irish Indians on Manhattan Island, who perambulate inside little houses placarded with one night corn cures; these were the real article and their wives walked behind, just like New York wives, carrying an orphan asylum on their backs and provisions for the week on their hips. - "Letters of a Dakota Divorcee", Jane Burr.