Definition of perceive :
1. To be affected of influented by.
2. To obtain knowledge of through the senses; to receive impressions from by means of the bodily organs; to take cognizance of the existence, character, or identity of, by means of the senses; to see, hear, or feel; as, to perceive a distant ship; to perceive a discord.
3. To take intellectual cognizance of; to apprehend by the mind; to be convinced of by direct intuition; to note; to remark; to discern; to see; to understand.
get, decode, discover, decipher, sensation, pick out, descry, grok, encompass, make of, smell, interpret, make out, remark, read, tell, twig, perception, make, cognize, identify, kinaesthetic, assimilate, espy, embrace, assail, spot, cotton, ken, cover, keen, be quick/slow on the uptake, appreciate, assault, knowledge, taste, register, intuit, savvy, learn, scent, seize, acute, apprehend, eye, discriminate, dig, see both sides, distinguish, take, compass, catch on, get the picture, construe, catch, tumble
know (part of speech: verb)
imagine (part of speech: verb)
observe (part of speech: verb)
see (part of speech: verb)
sense (part of speech: verb)
- Gazing up and down the stream I could perceive no place by which the waggons could pass. - "With Axe and Rifle", W.H.G. Kingston.
- Richard was changed, for all his wild mood of that night; nor was Jehane slow to perceive it. - "The Life and Death of Richard Yea-and-Nay", Maurice Hewlett.
- I cannot perceive in him the smallest change. - "Paris As It Was and As It Is", Francis W. Blagdon.