Definition of permissive:
- mild (part of speech: adjective)
- authorized (part of speech: adjective)
- permitting (part of speech: verb)
- "The English Language", Robert Gordon Latham.
It is an interesting detail, worth mentioning, that the ruling of the Committee quoted above, which established a market in the Clearing House, used the permissive word " may" in stating that orders to buy and sell might be sent to that institution.- "The New York Stock Exchange in the Crisis of 1914", Henry George Stebbins Noble.
- "Expositions of Holy Scripture: Romans Corinthians (To II Corinthians, Chap. V)", Alexander Maclaren.