Definition of persist:
hold up, put up, hold on, tack, bleed, play, draw, tag on, ply, bide, execute, triumph, die hard, wear, bunk, dominate, persevere, pass, lean, appease, obtain, guide, hightail it, hold the line, brave out, track down, ride out, prevail, work, outride, ladder, stop, tack on, be given, predominate, campaign, quell, brave, hunt, run away, incline, delay, feed, grasp, carry on, unravel, fly the coop, rule, pull through, melt, take to the woods, melt down, stick, lam, stomach, detain, endure, stay, flow, escape, stay on, digest, run for, scat, operate, scarper, reign, weather, rest, carry, race, turn tail, black market, go, function, course, hold, keep, run, break away, range, stay put, stick around, live on, head for the hills, insist, append, lead, remain, hang in, stick out, support, last out, hold out, tend, keep on, stand, brook, move, consort, hang on, come through, hunt down.
- continue (part of speech: verb)
- live (part of speech: verb)
- abide (part of speech: verb)
- persevere (part of speech: verb)
- resolve (part of speech: verb)
- remain (part of speech: verb)
- "A Night on the Borders of the Black Forest", Amelia B. Edwards.
- "Can You Forgive Her?", Anthony Trollope.
- "Castle Craneycrow", George Barr McCutcheon.