Definition of personate:
- Having the throat of a bilabiate corolla nearly closed by a projection of the base of the lower lip; masked, as in the flower of the snapdragon.
- To assume the character of; to represent by a fictitious appearance; to act the part of; hence, to counterfeit; to feign; as, he tried to personate his brother; a personated devotion.
- To celebrate loudly; to extol; to praise.
- To personify; to typify; to describe.
- To play or assume a character.
- To set forth in an unreal character; to disguise; to mask.
gravel, portray, dumbfound, vex, flummox, nonplus, be, posture, body, pose, amaze, mystify, beat, bewilder, impersonate, set, lay, personify, place, put, model, puzzle, perplex, baffle, get, embody, sit, stick, present, position, stupefy.
The whole was divided into scenes, and each character was assigned to some representative who was left to personate it according to his own conception, choosing the words and gestures which he deemed most appropriate.- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Moon Lore", Timothy Harley.
- "Penelope's Irish Experiences", Kate Douglas Wiggin.