Definition of perturbation:
- A disturbance in the regular elliptic or other motion of a heavenly body, produced by some force additional to that which causes its regular motion; as, the perturbations of the planets are caused by their attraction on each other.
- The act of perturbing, or the state of being perturbed; esp., agitation of mind.
hoo-ha, dislocation, nervousness, flutter, interruption, psychological disorder, to-do, apprehensiveness, concern, worry, unease, folie, anxiousness, solicitude, swage, dither, affray, noise, overthrow, mental disorder, gap, kerfuffle, disquietude, hurly burly, fray, concernment, ruffle, turnover, anxiety, upset, overturn, stew, nervosity, calm, disturbance, disruption, apprehension, sweat, fluster, uneasiness, agita, care, hoo-hah, mental disturbance, break, lather, interference, fear.
- aggravation (part of speech: noun)
disorder (part of speech: noun)
- agitation (part of speech: noun)
My mind, during the few past days, seemed, as it were, disengaged from my body; but, now the struggle was over, I felt very forcibly the effect which perturbation of spirits produces on a woman in my situation.- "Maria The Wrongs of Woman", Mary Wollstonecraft.
- "The Panchronicon", Harold Steele Mackaye.