Definition of philistine :
1. A bailiff.
2. A native or an inhabitant of ancient Philistia, a coast region of southern Palestine.
3. A person deficient in liberal culture and refinement; one without appreciation of the nobler aspirations and sentiments of humanity; one whose scope is limited to selfish and material interests.
4. Uncultured; commonplace.
vulgar (part of speech: adjective)
earthy, crude, scandalous, profane, cheap, degraded, low, gaudy, common, depraved, barnyard, salty, gross, unpolished, tactless, sordid, revolting, inelegant, homespun, animal, offensive, colloquial, sleazy, unbecoming, base, rank, boorish, ignoble, undignified, rude, cockney, repulsive, raw, crass, glaring, tasteless, coarse, indelicate, ignominious, tawdry, unrefined, barbaric, brazen, shameless, graceless, clumsy, unseemly, in bad taste, ill-bred, chintzy, coarse-grained, rough, outlandish, brutish, obscene, vulgar, idiomatic, garish, broad
- Then David ran and stood upon the dead Philistine and cut off his head with the giant's great sword, and when the Philistines saw that their champion was really dead, they fled, pursued by the shouting hosts of Israel. - "Child's Story of the Bible", Mary A. Lathbury.
- Really, is any great genius quite sane according to philistine standards? - "Chopin: The Man and His Music", James Huneker.
- Or listen to the chorus of women that " came out of all the cities of Israel" to meet the army, when David had conquered the Philistine in single- handed fight. - "Tired Church Members", Anna Warner.