Definition of phrase :
1. A brief expression, sometimes a single word, but usually two or more words forming an expression by themselves, or being a portion of a sentence; as, an adverbial phrase.
2. A mode or form of speech; the manner or style in which any one expreses himself; diction; expression.
3. A short clause or portion of a period.
4. A short, pithy expression; especially, one which is often employed; a peculiar or idiomatic turn of speech; as, to err is human.
5. To express in words, or in peculiar words; to call; to style.
6. To group notes into phrases; as, he phrases well. See Phrase, n., 4.
7. To use proper or fine phrases.
style, explicate, gerundive, excogitate, gerund, nonheaded, forge, vocabulary, pronounce, phrasing, set phrase, restrictive, vocalize, formulate, wordage, nonrestrictive, adjective, exocentric, vocalise, dialect, headed, endocentric, contrive, say, parlance, attributive, word, enounce, infinitive, enunciate, conjunctive, noun, accent, catchword, words, absolute, articulate, subordinate, idiomatic expression, put, musical phrase, phrasal idiom, adverbial, artistic style, sound out, invent, give voice, couch, joint, express, diction, devise, verbiage, participial, develop, adjectival
grammar (part of speech: noun)
phrase (part of speech: noun)
locution, verbalism, paragraph, maxim, sentence, euphemism, adage, metaphor, expression, catchphrase, motto, cliche, figure of speech, clause, proverb, slogan, terminology, epigram, phraseology, mannerism, idiom