Definition of pit:
- A cellar or excavation used for refuge from a cyclone, or tornado.
- A covered deep hole for entrapping wild beasts; a pitfall; hence, a trap; a snare. Also used figuratively.
- A depression or hollow in the surface of the human body
- A depression or thin spot in the wall of a duct.
- A large cavity or hole in the ground, either natural or artificial; a cavity in the surface of a body; an indentation
- A large hole in the ground from which material is dug or quarried; as, a stone pit; a gravel pit; or in which material is made by burning; as, a lime pit; a charcoal pit.
- A vat sunk in the ground; as, a tan pit.
- An inclosed area into which gamecocks, dogs, and other animals are brought to fight, or where dogs are trained to kill rats.
- Any abyss; especially, the grave, or hades.
- Formerly, that part of a theater, on the floor of the house, below the level of the stage and behind the orchestra; now, in England, commonly the part behind the stalls; in the United States, the parquet; also, the occupants of such a part of a theater.
- See of the stomach ( below).
- The endocarp of a drupe, and its contained seed or seeds; a stone; as, a peach pit; a cherry pit, etc.
- The hollow place under the shoulder or arm; the axilla, or armpit.
- The indentation or mark left by a pustule, as in smallpox.
- The shaft of a coal mine; a coal pit.
- To introduce as an antagonist; to set forward for or in a contest; as, to pit one dog against another.
- To mark with little hollows, as by various pustules; as, a face pitted by smallpox.
- To place or put into a pit or hole.
dental caries, fair game, match, label, equal, tag, blaze, the pits, strike off, correspond, nock, stone pit, score, agree, genus Fossa, gibe, sinkhole, basin, equalize, tally, fight down, bodily cavity, depression, hollow, rival, fossa, gem, sink, netherworld, defend, notice, tick off, stigmatise, rock, counter, fight back, hell, fit, quarry, support, clean, hellhole, mate, stigmatize, play off, nether region, perdition, inferno, mark off, distinguish, counterbalance, equalise, orchestra pit, cross off, cavum, jibe, meet head-on, lapidate, colliery, punctuate, brand, prey, target, dip, stone, pair, fossa cat, cope with, snake pit, twin, set, mark, check off, right, bump heads with, depression, cesspool, denounce, equate, oppose, caries, controvert, concavity, fight, commemorate, endocarp, touch, convex, check, conflagration, cross out, cavity, sin, tick, meet, gemstone, hell on earth, enclosed space, scar, pock, couple, armpit, differentiate, sag, cesspit, tooth decay, react, booby trap, strike out, contradict, pitfall, infernal region, note, grade, underworld.
- "The Story of Jessie", Mabel Quiller-Couch.
- "Story of My Life, volumes 1-3", Augustus J. C. Hare.
- "Old Peter's Russian Tales", Arthur Ransome.