Definition of pity :
1. A feeling for the sufferings or distresses of another or others; sympathy with the grief or misery of another; compassion; fellow- feeling; commiseration.
2. A reason or cause of pity, grief, or regret; a thing to be regretted.
4. To be compassionate; to show pity.
5. To feel pity or compassion for; to have sympathy with; to compassionate; to commiserate; to have tender feelings toward ( any one), awakened by a knowledge of suffering.
6. To move to pity; - used impersonally.
compassionate, pathos, charity, blessing, humanity, gentleness, lenity, spare, compunction, philanthropy, benevolence, misfortune, be sorry, sympathise, feel, ache, forbearance, empathy, compassionateness, forgiveness, disgrace, forgive, favor, take pity on someone, condole with, poignancy, grace, hatred, affinity, feel sorry for someone, crime, fellow feeling, ignominy, unselfishness, extend/offer your sympathy/sympathies, make encouraging/sympathetic etc. noises, benignity, lenience, mischance, mishap, disaster, clemency, shame, condolences, pardon, yearn, catastrophe, sentiment, good, bummer, mildness, kindness, kindliness, sympathize with, severity, condolence, Ruth, understanding
pity (part of speech: verb)