Definition of pivot:
- A fixed pin or short axis, on the end of which a wheel or other body turns.
- Hence, figuratively: A turning point or condition; that on which important results depend; as, the pivot of an enterprise.
- The end of a shaft or arbor which rests and turns in a support; as, the pivot of an arbor in a watch.
- The officer or soldier who simply turns in his place whike the company or line moves around him in wheeling; - called also pivot man.
- To place on a pivot.
pin tumbler, veer, bowling pin, oarlock, divert, pivot man, move, stick, change, tholepin, deflect, peg, swivel, rowlock, fall, swing, shaft, traverse, avert, deviate, wheel, thole, shift, flag, pin, turn.
- "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- "Rollo in Holland", Jacob Abbott.
- "Charles O'Malley, The Irish Dragoon, Volume 2 (of 2)", Charles Lever.