Definition of plague:
- An acute malignant contagious fever, that often prevails in Egypt, Syria, and Turkey, and has at times visited the large cities of Europe with frightful mortality; hence, any pestilence; as, the great London plague.
- Fig.: To vex; to tease; to harass.
- That which smites, wounds, or troubles; a blow; a calamity; any afflictive evil or torment; a great trail or vexation.
- To infest or afflict with disease, calamity, or natural evil of any kind.
iniquity, offense, outbreak, woe, feelings, beset, encrust, stimulate, canker, villainy, abhorrence, chivy, evoke, kick up, call forth, vexation, increase, cuss, crime, chevy, peeve, torment, chivvy, pestilence, bother, raise, enkindle, provoke, harry, kindle, pestis, wickedness, Black Death, irritant, set upon, epidemic, harass, pesterer, aggravation, abuse, hassle, pest, molest, elicit, besetment, horror, annoyance, gadfly, hatred, shame, arouse, influenza, aversion, disease, abomination, rash, blight, infestation, execration, blighter, nuisance, incrust, detestation, fire, help, chevvy, irritation, pain, disgust, ravage.
- "Spinning-Wheel Stories", Louisa May Alcott.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "An Essay on the Principle of Population", Thomas Malthus.