Definition of plant :
1. A bush, or young tree; a sapling; hence, a stick or staff.
2. A plan; an artifice; a swindle; a trick.
3. A vegetable; an organized living being, generally without feeling and voluntary motion, and having, when complete, a root, stem, and leaves, though consisting sometimes only of a single leafy expansion, or a series of cellules, or even a single cellule.
4. A young oyster suitable for transplanting.
5. An oyster which has been bedded, in distinction from one of natural growth.
6. The sole of the foot.
7. The whole machinery and apparatus employed in carrying on a trade or mechanical business; also, sometimes including real estate, and whatever represents investment of capital in the means of carrying on a business, but not including material worked upon or finished products; as, the plant of a foundry, a mill, or a railroad.
8. To engender; to generate; to set the germ of.
9. To furnish with a fixed and organized population; to settle; to establish; as, to plant a colony.
10. To furnish, or fit out, with plants; as, to plant a garden, an orchard, or a forest.
11. To introduce and establish the principles or seeds of; as, to plant Christianity among the heathen.
12. To perform the act of planting.
13. To put in the ground and cover, as seed for growth; as, to plant maize.
14. To set firmly; to fix; to set and direct, or point; as, to plant cannon against a fort; to plant a standard in any place; to plant one's feet on solid ground; to plant one's fist in another's face.
15. To set in the ground for growth, as a young tree, or a vegetable with roots.
16. To set up; to install; to instate.
ingraft, imbed, gear up, demonstrate, make up, ready, sic, bring, fructify, whole kit and caboodle, stash, mark, be, engraft, start, seed, dress, seed down, work, nominate, give, arrange, pose, congeal, countersink, do, coif, whole kit, full treatment, determine, plant life, occult, limit, hide, represent, kit and caboodle, conceal, prepare, define, name, typeset, go down, workings, works, comprise, whole kit and boodle, cache, lay, rig, show, set out, ground, prove, set, institute, coiffure, whole works, kit and boodle, lay down, coiffe, form, whole caboodle, launch, instal, shew, sow, appoint, adjust, build, found, go under, localise, industrial plant, jell, correct, constitute, base, specify, botany, make, whole shebang, lay out, localize, deeds, secrete
inter (part of speech: verb)
install (part of speech: verb)
vegetable (part of speech: noun)
vegetation (part of speech: noun)
workshop (part of speech: noun)
- Any well- known plant may be put before the class to help them to think of these. - "Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Household Management", Ministry of Education.
- So a few of these trees may well be an addition to your country place, but plant them knowing the care required. - "If You're Going to Live in the Country", Thomas H. Ormsbee and Richmond Huntley.
- That you go to Eagle Cliff some day this week, and find for me a particular plant for which I have sought for a long time in vain, but which I am told is to be found there. - "The Eagle Cliff", R.M. Ballantyne.