Definition of plant:
- A bush, or young tree; a sapling; hence, a stick or staff.
- A plan; an artifice; a swindle; a trick.
- A vegetable; an organized living being, generally without feeling and voluntary motion, and having, when complete, a root, stem, and leaves, though consisting sometimes only of a single leafy expansion, or a series of cellules, or even a single cellule.
- A young oyster suitable for transplanting.
- An oyster which has been bedded, in distinction from one of natural growth.
- The sole of the foot.
- The whole machinery and apparatus employed in carrying on a trade or mechanical business; also, sometimes including real estate, and whatever represents investment of capital in the means of carrying on a business, but not including material worked upon or finished products; as, the plant of a foundry, a mill, or a railroad.
- To engender; to generate; to set the germ of.
- To furnish with a fixed and organized population; to settle; to establish; as, to plant a colony.
- To furnish, or fit out, with plants; as, to plant a garden, an orchard, or a forest.
- To introduce and establish the principles or seeds of; as, to plant Christianity among the heathen.
- To perform the act of planting.
- To put in the ground and cover, as seed for growth; as, to plant maize.
- To set firmly; to fix; to set and direct, or point; as, to plant cannon against a fort; to plant a standard in any place; to plant one's feet on solid ground; to plant one's fist in another's face.
- To set in the ground for growth, as a young tree, or a vegetable with roots.
- To set up; to install; to instate.
instal, congeal, go down, lay down, form, countersink, nominate, name, determine, gear up, shew, base, seed, found, kit and caboodle, arrange, coiffure, whole kit, pose, limit, ingraft, full treatment, appoint, ready, fructify, whole shebang, works, industrial plant, typeset, implant, seed down, correct, do, adjust, represent, engraft, ground, lay out, kit and boodle, workings, imbed, coiffe, coif, localise, lay, be, set out, work, comprise, stash, build, launch, whole kit and caboodle, conceal, secrete, start, embed, make up, hide, go under, give, prove, flora, specify, occult, localize, whole kit and boodle, bring, sic, make, rig, demonstrate, show, sow, deeds, establish, cache, dress, plant life, jell, institute, mark, define, whole works, set, prepare, constitute, botany, whole caboodle.
- inter (part of speech: verb)
- install (part of speech: verb)
- vegetable (part of speech: noun)
- vegetation (part of speech: noun)
- workshop (part of speech: noun)
- "Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Household Management", Ministry of Education.
- "If You're Going to Live in the Country", Thomas H. Ormsbee and Richmond Huntley.
- "The Eagle Cliff", R.M. Ballantyne.