Definition of point :
1. A a string or lace used to tie together certain parts of the dress.
2. A dot or mark distinguishing or characterizing certain tones or styles; as, points of perfection, of augmentation, etc.; hence, a note; a tune.
3. A dot or mark used to designate certain tones or time
4. A dot placed at the right hand of a note, to raise its value, or prolong its time, by one half, as to make a whole note equal to three half notes, a half note equal to three quarter notes.
5. A fielder who is stationed on the off side, about twelve or fifteen yards from, and a little in advance of, the batsman.
6. A fixed conventional place for reference, or zero of reckoning, in the heavens, usually the intersection of two or more great circles of the sphere, and named specifically in each case according to the position intended; as, the equinoctial points; the solstitial points; the nodal points; vertical points, etc. See Equinoctial Nodal.
7. A movement executed with the saber or foil; as, tierce point.
8. A pointed piece of quill or bone covered at one end with vaccine matter; - called also vaccine point.
9. A short piece of cordage used in reefing sails. See Reef point, under Reef.
10. A small matter; a trifle; a least consideration; a punctilio.
11. A spot to which a straight run is made; hence, a straight run from point to point; a cross- country run.
12. A standard unit of measure for the size of type bodies, being one twelfth of the thickness of pica type. See system of type, under Type.
13. A switch.
14. A tyne or snag of an antler.
15. Act of pointing, as of the foot downward in certain dance positions.
16. An indefinitely small space; a mere spot indicated or supposed. Specifically: ( Geom.) That which has neither parts nor magnitude; that which has position, but has neither length, breadth, nor thickness, -- sometimes conceived of as the limit of a line; that by the motion of which a line is conceived to be produced.
17. An indivisible portion of time; a moment; an instant; hence, the verge.
18. An instrument which pricks or pierces, as a sort of needle used by engravers, etchers, lace workers, and others; also, a pointed cutting tool, as a stone cutter's point; - called also pointer.
19. An item of private information; a hint; a tip; a pointer.
20. Anything which tapers to a sharp, well- defined termination. Specifically: A small promontory or cape; a tract of land extending into the water beyond the common shore line.
21. Hence, the most prominent or important feature, as of an argument, discourse, etc.; the essential matter; esp., the proposition to be established; as, the point of an anecdote.
22. Hence, to direct the attention or notice of.
23. In various games, a position of a certain player, or, by extension, the player himself;
24. Lace wrought the needle; as, point de Venise; Brussels point. See lace, below.
25. One of the points of the compass ( see Points of the compass, below); also, the difference between two points of the compass; as, to fall off a point.
26. One of the raised dots used in certain systems of printing and writing for the blind. The first practical system was that devised by Louis Braille in 1829, and still used in Europe ( see Braille). Two modifications of this are current in the United States: New York point founded on three bases of equidistant points arranged in two lines ( viz., : :: :::), and a later improvement, American Braille, embodying the Braille base (:::) and the New- York- point principle of using the characters of few points for the commonest letters.
27. One of the several different parts of the escutcheon. See Escutcheon.
28. One of the spaces on a backgammon board.
29. That which arrests attention, or indicates qualities or character; a salient feature; a characteristic; a peculiarity; hence, a particular; an item; a detail; as, the good or bad points of a man, a horse, a book, a story, etc.
30. That which pricks or pierces; the sharp end of anything, esp. the sharp end of a piercing instrument, as a needle or a pin.
31. The attitude assumed by a pointer dog when he finds game; as, the dog came to a point. See Pointer.
32. The mark made by the end of a sharp, piercing instrument, as a needle; a prick.
33. The perpendicular rising of a hawk over the place where its prey has gone into cover.
34. The position of the pitcher and catcher.
35. The position of the player of each side who stands a short distance in front of the goal keeper; also, the player himself.
36. To appoint.
37. To approximate to the surface; to head; - said of an abscess.
38. To cut, as a surface, with a pointed tool.
39. To direct the point of something, as of a finger, for the purpose of designating an object, and attracting attention to it; - with at.
40. To direct toward an abject; to aim; as, to point a gun at a wolf, or a cannon at a fort.
41. To fill up and finish the joints of ( a wall), by introducing additional cement or mortar, and bringing it to a smooth surface.
42. To give a point to; to sharpen; to cut, forge, grind, or file to an acute end; as, to point a dart, or a pencil. Used also figuratively; as, to point a moral.
43. To give particular prominence to; to designate in a special manner; to indicate, as if by pointing; as, the error was pointed out.
44. To indicate or discover by a fixed look, as game.
45. To indicate the presence of game by fixed and steady look, as certain hunting dogs do.
46. To mark ( as Hebrew) with vowel points.
47. To supply with punctuation marks; to punctuate; as, to point a composition.
48. Whatever serves to mark progress, rank, or relative position, or to indicate a transition from one state or position to another, degree; step; stage; hence, position or condition attained; as, a point of elevation, or of depression; the stock fell off five points; he won by tenpoints.
intend, transmit, full point, locus, dash, prove, battery-acid, geological period, location, localise, rung, pointedness, bakshish, station, commove, stopover, signalise, show up, time period, decimal point, diaphragm, billet, advert, exhibit, file, pinnacle, turn on, depict, fate, closure, flow, show, rate, layer, headland, instant, breaker point, headspring, leg, ambition, post, efflorescence, assign, invest, period of time, cusp, read, school principal, eyeshade, play up, delegate, why, limit, prime, brink, peak, locality, target, aim, prognosticate, insinuate, pane, flush, window pane, head up, charge, doom, establish, dit, organize, feature, blot, picture, evidence, locate, focalise, italicize, claw, present, agitate, pull down, accentuate, destine, gunpoint, channel, bear down, take, subject matter, focus, headway, phase, big, drive, loony toons, principal, purport, record, academic degree, channelise, signalize, testify, evince, prefigure, portend, tear, level, microscope stage, foreshadow, come out, psyche, hint, steer, rase, berth, stage, head word, arcdegree, set, stagecoach, run, barb, render, bear witness, summit, channelize, take aim, oral sex, period, peg, take down, duration, menstruation, article, full stop, refer, rouse, design, speck, orient, register, even out, mastermind, express, object, speckle, drumhead, acicula, height, pip, item, fleck, maneuver, sharp, important, train, point in time, wind, institutionalise, tailor, presage, objective, crown, lead, transport, compass point, catamenia, operate, taper, maculation, part, nib, lodge, stop consonant, spirit level, office, layover, top dog, localize, element, engineer, shoot for, propose, promontory, situation, superman, circumstance, underscore, grade, repoint, foretell, dapple, luff, institutionalize, accuse, orchestrate, occlusive, place, conduct, level off, spot, commit, send, bespeak, omen, organise, put, request, stain, site, spine, occlusion, stoppage, charge up, excite, block, power point, augur, stay, tear down, extremum, confidential information, order, even, forecast, guide on, calculate, straits, tiptop, visor, count, transfer, highlight, contingent, degree, address, catch, shoot, crest, arrest, patch, time, specify, emphasize, lay, draw, touch, knife, intention, orientate, planned, raze, stress, underline, caput, case, denominate, brain, intimate, acme, vertex, tier, predict, borderline, imply, pose, allude, manoeuver, direct, buck, consign, check, sharpen, horizontal surface, draw a bead on, burden, slur, call for, score, almost, dismantle, chief, appoint, get, dose, foreland, usher, pourboire, plosive, story, header, gratuity, aspire, near, reason, smudge, menstruum, shoot down, acumination, head, blockage, mucro, shew, topographic point, apex, nous, sword, menses, heighten, significancy, load, token, mucronation, dagger, distributor point, smirch, bode, end, blossom, fountainhead, goal, elevation, focalize, sign, threshold, baksheesh, capitulum, stiletto, MARKS, stratum, particular, plosive speech sound, superlative, signify, detail, manoeuvre, juncture, snag, demo, identify, dot, auspicate, back breaker, heading, range, backsheesh, head teacher, depute, percentage point, moment, close to, floor, verge, storey, spotlight, bill, come in, top, rank, read/write head, bakshis, halt, step, saddle, blame, quest, daub, view, mind, accent, smear, stop, suggest, pinpoint, demonstrate, acid, flower, hitch, pass, mention, argue, plosive consonant, heyday, vizor, bloom, notch, meridian
perforator (part of speech: noun)
meaning (part of speech: noun)
force, significance, definition, import, implication, purpose, explanation, denotation, pith, connotation, meaning, indication, interpretation, crux, upshot, tenor, message, thrust, intent, drift, description, relevance, gist
sharpness (part of speech: noun)
topic (part of speech: noun)
inference, assertion, motif, contention, dissertation, text, problem, premise, theme, argument, topic, axiom, consideration, subject, belief, theorem, concept, opinion, question, assumption, paradigm, basis, principle, essay, thesis, idea, issue, exposition, statement, hypothesis, presumption, conjecture, position, query, postulation, matter
indicate (part of speech: verb)
cue, mark, label, nod, guide, signal, gesticulate, note, motion, point out, symbolize, flag, wave, shrug, alert, nudge, denote, wink, prompt, designate, brand, beckon, stamp, tag, notify, ticket, gesture, betoken, indicate
perforate (part of speech: verb)
front (part of speech: noun)