Definition of police:
- A judicial and executive system, for the government of a city, town, or district, for the preservation of rights, order, cleanliness, health, etc., and for the enforcement of the laws and prevention of crime; the administration of the laws and regulations of a city, incorporated town, or borough.
- Military police, the body of soldiers detailed to preserve civil order and attend to sanitary arrangements in a camp or garrison.
- That which concerns the order of the community; the internal regulation of a state.
- The cleaning of a camp or garrison, or the state a camp as to cleanliness.
- The organized body of civil officers in a city, town, or district, whose particular duties are the preservation of good order, the prevention and detection of crime, and the enforcement of the laws.
- To keep in order by police.
- To make clean; as, to police a camp.
law, the man, patrol, law of nature, order, tidy, jurisprudence, the fuzz, Mounties, spruce, patrolwoman, bluecoat, constabulary, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, FBI, fuzz, cop, officer, the law, peace officer, patrolman, heat, law enforcement body, constable, RCMP, bobby, copper, clean, straighten, clear, military police, natural law, custodians of the law, finest, flatfoot, policewoman, gendarme, policeman, police force, practice of law, detective force, canine corps, legal philosophy, police officer, peeler, neaten, the heat, police officers, policemen, bull.
- "The Secret Witness", George Gibbs.
- "The Heart of Rome", Francis Marion Crawford.
- "The Just and the Unjust", Vaughan Kester.