Definition of politic:
- A politician.
- Of or pertaining to polity, or civil government; political; as, the body politic. See under Body.
- Pertaining to, or promoting, a policy, especially a national policy; well- devised; adapted to its end, whether right or wrong; - said of things; as, a politic treaty.
- Sagacious in promoting a policy; ingenious in devising and advancing a system of management; devoted to a scheme or system rather than to a principle; hence, in a good sense, wise; prudent; sagacious; and in a bad sense, artful; unscrupulous; cunning; -- said of persons.
savorless, fluent, sensible, legato, tranquil, diplomatic, suave, debonnaire, flavorless, logical, clear-headed, liquid, debonair, expedient, sagacious, delicate, advisable, shrewd, study at suave, vapid, quiet, unruffled, fluid, still, placid, flavourless, diplomatical, balanced, mature, realistic, urbane, tactful, crafty, ability, pragmatic, practical, debonaire, smooth, rational, grounded, bland, flat, savourless, wise, desirable, sensitive, tactical, insipid.
- "From Jest to Earnest", E. P. Roe.
- "The Henchman", Mark Lee Luther.
It is now thought politic in Rome to deny the existence of these letters of remonstrance, but they have taken such effect that the highest authorities begin to hesitate, and ask themselves the question whether they have not gone too far in their confident assurance of victory.- "Letters From Rome on the Council", Johann Joseph Ignaz von Döllinger.