Definition of politician:
- Cunning; using artifice; politic; artful.
- One primarily devoted to his own advancement in public office, or to the success of a political party; -- used in a depreciatory sense; one addicted or attached to politics as managed by parties ( see Politics, 2); a schemer; an intriguer; as, a mere politician.
- One versed or experienced in the science of government; one devoted to politics; a statesman.
lawmaker, gentleman, fixer, politico, congresswoman, pol, legislator, Eurocrat, gentlewoman, liar, elder statesman, agitator, carpetbagger, partisan, diplomat, cheat, wheeler-dealer, congressman, timeserver, statesman, political leader, hypocrite, brown-nose, congressperson, free marketeer, Man on Horseback, crook, bureaucrat, poser, demagogue, fraud, dove, conman.
- "My Three Years in America", Johann Heinrich Andreas Hermann Albrecht Graf von Bernstorff.
- "Hugh Wynne, Free Quaker", S. Weir Mitchell.
- "The Matador of the Five Towns and Other Stories", Arnold Bennett.