Definition of predominate:
- That which is prescribed or laid down as a guide for conduct or action; a governing direction for a specific purpose; an authoritative enactment; a regulation; a prescription; a precept; as, the rules of various societies; the rules governing a school; a rule of etiquette or propriety; the rules of cricket.
rife, matter, endure, paramount, bulk large, harness, obtain, predominant, signify, litter, dominate, rule, preponderating, abound, tower, persist, hover, dominant, decree, emphasize, figure, have the ascendancy, preponderate, hold, infest, prevailing, find, brood, reign supreme, go beyond, hulk, prevail, loom large, lie at the heart of something, overwhelm, break the ... barrier, overriding, govern, reign, count, top, prevalent, overlook, die hard, overtop, come before, over, rein, run, loom, preponderant.
- defeat (part of speech: verb)
- excel (part of speech: verb)
- influence (part of speech: verb)
- dominate (part of speech: verb)
- "The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke, Vol. V. (of 12)", Edmund Burke.
- "The Bertrams", Anthony Trollope.
Pasture, meadow, and clayey soils, taken together, greatly predominate over sandy ploughed fields, in all large agricultural districts, and hence, even if, in the case we are supposing, the open ground chance to have boon thawed before the melting of the snow which covers it, it is already saturated with moisture, or very soon becomes so, and, of course, cannot relieve the pressure by absorbing more water.- "The Earth as Modified by Human Action", George P. Marsh.