Definition of prelude:
breakbeat, chorus, coda, proem, counterpoint, voluntary, andante, buildup, prolegomenon, concerto, flourish, arpeggio, cantata, warm-up, intro, overture, music, adagio, allegro, arrangement, bass, lead-in, feeler, descant, cadence, accompaniment, chant, curtain-raiser, advance, approach, excerpt, exordium, words, induction, precondition, air, preliminary, crescendo, prelim, foreword, prolusion.
- beginning (part of speech: noun)
- prelude (part of speech: noun)
- introduction (part of speech: noun)
There is a supposition that when these cockatoos fly across the country uttering their hoarse note, it is a prelude to rain; but unfortunately I can bear testimony to the contrary, having often seen them so fly over my head when I would have given my right arm for water.- "Expedition into Central Australia", Charles Sturt.
- "Lore of Proserpine", Maurice Hewlett.
- "Roosevelt in the Bad Lands", Hermann Hagedorn.