Definition of pretended:
Synonyms for pretended:
hypocritical, fake, unnatural, cheating, phony, forced, double-dealing, left-handed, delusive, spurious, two-faced, assumed, contrived, backhanded, off-key, mock, jive, synthetic, made-up, mechanical, lying, phony-baloney, Pecksniffian, double, imaginary, pseudo, mistaken, put on, strained, bogus, fancied, artificial, concealed, unctuous, counterfeit, fictive, fictitious, false, sour, dissimulated, factitious, untrue, masked, lip, fictional, hypothetical, imitation, mealymouthed, double-faced, fabricated, imitative, Janus-faced, shammed, plastic, true, insincere, faux, mealy, sham, bluffing.
- imitated (part of speech: verb)
- pretended (part of speech: verb)
- ostensible (part of speech: adjective)
120. Kirkham, who pretended to turn the same book into " Familiar Lectures," says, " To, the sign of the infinitive mood, is often understood before the verb; as, 'Let me proceed; ' that is, Let me to proceed."- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.
- "This World Is Taboo", Murray Leinster.
Satisfied fully of what he had seen and heard, he dismissed the pretended Jew with a heavy purse of gold, and bade him choose his own time, telling him also that his palace gates should ever be open to him.- "The Circassian Slave; or, The Sultan's Favorite A Story of Constantinople and the Caucasus", Lieutenant Maturin Murray.