Definition of prevent:
keep on, stay, foil, halt, proscribe, forestall, save, head off, nix, nip in the bud, limit, disturb, obstruct, hold open, keep open, interrupt, embarrass, resist, arrest, debar, keep back, hold off, knock something on the head, preclude, repress, allow, keep from happening, hold back, interdict, avoid, thwart, counter, celebrate, close out, stave off, foresee, impede, help, keep from, veto, squash, countercheck, forestall, stave off, retard, stay fresh, circumvent, clog, forfend, hold on, fend off, balk, go on, obviate, forbid, foreclose, stop from, rule out, anticipate, turn aside, preclude, observe, silence, get in the way of something, obviate, keep, encumber, intercept, override, draw off, stop, ward off, counteract, obviate, put a stop to, nip in the bud, Hinder, go along, baffle, continue, delay, sustain, oppose, frustrate, proceed, hamper.
- dissuade (part of speech: verb)
- retain (part of speech: verb)
- prohibit (part of speech: verb)
- "The History of the Life of the Late Mr. Jonathan Wild the Great", Henry Fielding.
- "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists", Robert Tressell.
- "Tarrano the Conqueror", Raymond King Cummings.