Definition of quarto :
1. Having four leaves to the sheet; of the form or size of a quarto.
2. Originally, a book of the size of the fourth of sheet of printing paper; a size leaves; in present usage, a book of a square or nearly square form, and usually of large size.
four (part of speech: adjective)
- It is impossible not to be amazed when we think that in the short space of thirty years this man wrote and published, on the truths of the Spiritual World, twenty- five quarto volumes, composed in Latin, of which the shortest has five hundred pages, all of them printed in small type. - "Seraphita", Honore de Balzac.
- It was a small quarto, a. - "Greene Ferne Farm", Richard Jefferies.
- Then my eyes turned to an open quarto book. - "The Quest of the Sacred Slipper", Sax Rohmer.