Definition of quicken:
- To come to life; to become alive; to become vivified or enlivened; hence, to exhibit signs of life; to move, as the fetus in the womb.
- To make alive; to vivify; to revive or resuscitate, as from death or an inanimate state; hence, to excite; to, stimulate; to incite.
- To make lively, active, or sprightly; to impart additional energy to; to stimulate; to make quick or rapid; to hasten; to accelerate; as, to quicken one's steps or thoughts; to quicken one's departure or speed.
- To move with rapidity or activity; to become accelerated; as, his pulse quickened.
- To shorten the radius of ( a curve); to make ( a curve) sharper; as, to quicken the sheer, that is, to make its curve more pronounced.
liven up, pep, cheer, jump-start, brace, ginger, resort, remedy, amend, energize, touch on, strengthen, accelerate, belt along, rush along, renovate, come over, play, restore, grow, spring, heighten, pulse, hearten, reinvigorate, engulf, remediate, mend, inspire, repair, rise, despatch, bushel, hie, restitute, surge, give it some gas, doctor, bucket along, animize, bundle, fillip, travel rapidly, arouse, step on it, make haste, resuscitate, drive on, furbish up, pelt along, come to, cannonball along, revitalize, zip, activate, urge on, animate, recreate, rectify, compensate, fire, reanimate, whet, speed, embolden, step up, exalt, pick up speed, pull ahead, race, sweep over, vivify, liven, live, juice up, spike, stir, recompense, grip, vitalize, whisk, amp, put your foot down, stimulate, run, jazz, revive, resurrect, awaken, fix, animise, color, hotfoot, kindle, catch up, indemnify, freshen up, refurbish, invigorate, drive, enliven, fast-track, speed up, revivify, press forward, fast.
- "Quicksands", Adolph Streckfuss.
- "The Red Rover", James Fenimore Cooper.
In this manner, they led and drove him along, the fellow behind occasionally biting the beast's tail, to quicken his motions; until at length the poor creature was made fast to an anchor on the beach, there to await the butcher.- "Journal of an African Cruiser", Horatio Bridge.