Definition of quilting :
1. A coating of strands of rope for a water vessel.
2. A quilting bee. See Bee, 2.
3. of Quilt
4. The act of stitching or running in patterns, as in making a quilt.
5. The material used for making quilts.
fabric (part of speech: adjective)
damask, serge, silk, Acrilan, flannel, chiffon, sateen, cheesecloth, crepe, challis, Dacron, Celanese, grenadine, Jersey, batik, muslin, worsted, paisley, baize, rayon, tricot, gossamer, cambric, tweed, seersucker, herringbone, burlap, foulard, suede, fabric, oilcloth, bunting, broadcloth, crinoline, cotton, gingham, sacking sailcloth, percale, horsehair, moleskin, tulle, linen, sharkskin, fleece, net, astrakhan, chintz, corduroy, felt, velvet, duffel, tarpaulin, longcloth, satin, wool, lame, nylon, mohair, denim, canvas, Orlon, taffeta, alpaca, chenille, calico, plaid, gabardine, twill, madras, velour, matting, brocade, cashmere
sewing (part of speech: verb)
- The quilting party, we were informed, was expected to be a grand affair, provided, of course, there were no signs of rain; for country people are not expected to venture out for pleasure in rainy weather. - "The House of Martha", Frank R. Stockton.
- She taught the trail to my mother, who married Phipps, and mother had a turn for needlework, and she gave it that little twist and rise which makes it so wonderful pretty and neat; but 'twas I popped on the real finish, quilting it, so to speak, and making it the richest trimming, and the most dainty you could find. - "Good Luck", L. T. Meade.
- Here, Ichabod, at a late hour, is leaving the Van Tassel home after a " quilting frolic" where he took occasion to propose to Katrina. - "Story Hour Readings: Seventh Year", E.C. Hartwell.