Definition of rag :
1. A coarse kind of rock, somewhat cellular in texture.
2. A piece of cloth torn off; a tattered piece of cloth; a shred; a tatter; a fragment.
3. A ragged edge.
4. A sail, or any piece of canvas.
5. A shabby, beggarly fellow; a ragamuffin.
6. Hence, mean or tattered attire; worn- out dress.
7. To become tattered.
8. To break ( ore) into lumps for sorting.
9. To cut or dress roughly, as a grindstone.
10. To dance to ragtime music, esp. in some manner considered indecorous.
11. To play or compose ( a piece, melody, etc.) in syncopated time.
12. To scold or rail at; to rate; to tease; to torment; to banter.
incommode, disoblige, bait, tease apart, rattle on, scratch, canvas, agitate, irritate, muster, rub, inconvenience, underdress, flat solid, cross, come up, tatter, talk, discombobulate, reprimand, befool, inconvenience oneself, confound, shred, bawl out, trounce, vex, chamois cloth, dress down, shell, flummox, amaze, mobilise, ragtime, hinge upon, strap, canvass, shake up, grumble, lather, invoke, trouble, fuddle, gravel, masticate, thwart, stir, call up, point out, bedevil, crush, savage, dishrag, annoy, fluff, chit-chat, smidge, nettle, bed sheet, worry, remnant, call down, discommode, gossip, mortify, bug, yack, stick, criminate, berate, fox, chitchat, bring up, put forward, befuddle, mount, have words, rebuke, chew, take in, scintilla, devolve on, beat, lambaste, censure, beleaguer, chew out, nonplus, tantalize, stir up, make, torment, fray, ticket, sheet, slash, sit, dupe, cane, reproof, urticate, blast, hand rag, raise, rally, shoot the breeze, smidgen, puzzle, yellow journalism, pillory, vanquish, throw, lecture, get, put out, frustrate, tabloid, chatter, whip, chew up, fool, tag end, yap away, plane, fret, slang, depend upon, rile, raise up, sheet of paper, shroud, visit, cloth, confuse, pose, jaw, loosen, depend on, welt, arouse, stupefy, rag week, confabulate, excruciate, mainsheet, put on, gull, chaffer, perplex, whit, drum up, gall, bilk, bother, crucify, rack, commove, chat, weather sheet, piece of paper, conjure up, smidgin, yack away, tantalise, scrap, reach, trouble oneself, chide, put one over, conjure, beat up, grouch, call forth, scotch, chafe, hinge on, devil, call on the carpet, spoil, mystify, evoke, iota, mobilize, beat out, scold, tag, disturb, better, dun, cod, tab, rebound, twit, put one across, chew the fat, wiper, get at, tack, natter, dumbfound, summon, tease, foil, turn on, roil, smidgeon, access, take to task, dustcloth, lash, manducate, tittle, claver, subdue, lambast, baffle, pester, sail, nark, remonstrate, confab, muster up, flog, bewilder, badger, card, excoriate, progress to, discarded material, drive, torture, get to
ridicule (part of speech: verb)
- " I know it, and it was too bad of me to laugh at you," answered the Rag Doll. - "The Story of a Bold Tin Soldier", Laura Lee Hope.
- Oh, just rag them a little somehow. - "The School by the Sea", Angela Brazil.
- For this purpose whenever the least sign of thrush appears, the mouth should be carefully wiped out with a piece of soft rag dipped in a little warm water every time after food has been given. - "The Mother's Manual of Children's Diseases", Charles West, M.D..