Definition of rag:
- A coarse kind of rock, somewhat cellular in texture.
- A piece of cloth torn off; a tattered piece of cloth; a shred; a tatter; a fragment.
- A ragged edge.
- A sail, or any piece of canvas.
- A shabby, beggarly fellow; a ragamuffin.
- Hence, mean or tattered attire; worn- out dress.
- To become tattered.
- To break ( ore) into lumps for sorting.
- To cut or dress roughly, as a grindstone.
- To dance to ragtime music, esp. in some manner considered indecorous.
- To play or compose ( a piece, melody, etc.) in syncopated time.
- To scold or rail at; to rate; to tease; to torment; to banter.
commove, tag end, chaffer, dishrag, muster up, roil, mystify, chat, dun, devil, frustrate, savage, drive, discommode, gossip, cloth, tease, tantalize, bait, beat, scotch, put out, bedevil, canvass, fuddle, sheet of paper, stick, depend on, bewilder, rub, put one over, stir, ragtime, smidgeon, confabulate, reproof, sheet, get, mobilize, access, worry, bother, nark, flummox, urticate, discarded material, stupefy, cross, visit, shoot the breeze, dustcloth, hinge on, rag week, chew out, turn on, yap away, natter, agitate, razz, tabloid, raise up, twit, remnant, hinge upon, conjure up, lecture, throw, irritate, underdress, iota, card, tantalise, shroud, claver, taunt, befuddle, mortify, flog, bring up, bed sheet, crucify, torment, nettle, hand rag, shell, rebound, fox, evoke, smidge, masticate, vanquish, smidgen, yack away, scintilla, put one across, reprimand, chafe, talk, dupe, drum up, rally, ticket, call forth, welt, reach, chamois cloth, whit, bilk, summon, badger, take in, manducate, grumble, excoriate, annoy, chew up, gall, stir up, devolve on, beat out, lambaste, tease apart, spoil, pose, wiper, scold, scratch, smidgin, shake up, thwart, strap, inconvenience, point out, rile, ride, better, censure, dumbfound, muster, mount, rack, nonplus, scrap, trouble oneself, sail, chatter, confound, claver, berate, depend upon, rebuke, chit-chat, disoblige, fluff, gull, perplex, fray, puzzle, slang, inconvenience oneself, get to, incommode, cane, subdue, trounce, rattle on, beat up, baffle, confab, mobilise, have words, put forward, fool, get at, bawl out, pillory, chew the fat, blast, weather sheet, whip, amaze, invoke, lambast, criminate, take to task, call on the carpet, plane, make, bug, shred, chitchat, befool, torture, raise, progress to, canvas, disturb, come up, dress down, lash, tittle, fret, remonstrate, trouble, tag, flat solid, grouch, call up, yack, loosen, tab, lather, confuse, chide, yellow journalism, pester, crush, excruciate, put on, beleaguer, slash, jaw, conjure, call down, tack, vex, discombobulate, arouse, piece of paper, gravel, mainsheet, chew, cod, sit, tatter, foil.
- "The Story of a Bold Tin Soldier", Laura Lee Hope.
- "The School by the Sea", Angela Brazil.
- "The Mother's Manual of Children's Diseases", Charles West, M.D..