Definition of raise :
1. To bring into being; to produce; to cause to arise, come forth, or appear; - often with up.
2. To bring to a higher condition or situation; to elevate in rank, dignity, and the like; to increase the value or estimation of; to promote; to exalt; to advance; to enhance; as, to raise from a low estate; to raise to office; to raise the price, and the like.
3. To bring to notice; to submit for consideration; as, to raise a point of order; to raise an objection.
4. To bring together; to collect; to levy; to get together or obtain for use or service; as, to raise money, troops, and the like.
5. To bring up from the lower world; to call up, as a spirit from the world of spirits; to recall from death; to give life to.
6. To cause ( the land or any other object) to seem higher by drawing nearer to it; as, to raise Sandy Hook light.
7. To cause to arise, grow up, or come into being or to appear; to give rise to; to originate, produce, cause, effect, or the like.
8. To cause to grow; to procure to be produced, bred, or propagated; to grow; as, to raise corn, barley, hops, etc.; toraise cattle.
9. To cause to rise up, or assume an erect position or posture; to set up; to make upright; as, to raise a mast or flagstaff.
10. To cause to rise, as by the effect of leaven; to make light and spongy, as bread.
11. To cause to rise; to bring from a lower to a higher place; to lift upward; to elevate; to heave; as, to raise a stone or weight.
12. To cause to spring up from a recumbent position, from a state of quiet, or the like; to awaken; to arouse.
13. To create or constitute; as, to raise a use, that is, to create it.
14. To elevate in degree according to some scale; as, to raise the pitch of the voice; to raise the temperature of a room.
15. To form by the accumulation of materials or constituent parts; to build up; to erect; as, to raise a lofty structure, a wall, a heap of stones.
16. To give rise to; to set agoing; to occasion; to start; to originate; as, to raise a smile or a blush.
17. To give vent or utterance to; to utter; to strike up.
18. To increase the strength, vigor, or vehemence of; to excite; to intensify; to invigorate; to heighten; as, to raise the pulse; to raise the voice; to raise the spirits or the courage; to raise the heat of a furnace.
19. To let go; as in the command, tacks and sheets, i. e., Let go tacks and sheets.
20. To rouse to action; to stir up; to incite to tumult, struggle, or war; to excite.
instal, launch, put, essay, demonstrate, count, keel over, collect, recruit, plagiarize, wind up, enkindle, horizontal, give notice, paint a picture, living, resurrect, awaken, get/leap/rise/stagger etc. to your feet, effectuate, can, test, suffer, take to task, move on, turn, chew out, brace, uprear, sit up, rag, originate, push, encourage, enrich, cultivate, hiking, waken, touch, reprimand, bring on, sustain, conjure up, custody, turn something inside out, acquire, accrual, heaving, conspire, pose, climbing, emanation, pass on, develop, assemble, add up, reproduction, kindle, grind away, pull ahead, snarf, hook, determine, plagiarise, come along, refer, name, rebuke, discharge, expansion, stick out, wind, rising slope, aid, further, trick out, beset, promote, arouse, reproof, chevy, trick up, scold, accretion, filch, draw, tip up, bring out, reboot, leaven, wage hike, dismiss, cram, lambast, excite, harry, trounce, nip and tuck, chide, monetize, sex, rustle, wage increase, regain your feet, cut, jump, posit, abstract, appropriate, set, attire, tell of, rising, urge forward, go off, plague, climb, note, ski lift, compound, parent, put up, rescind, throw up, roll, tog up, chivy, cabal, harass, minimum wage, touch on, care for, make, stand, give rise, go through the roof, piece, raising, addendum, mature, procession, uprise, gear up, get, lambaste, contribute, energize, stand up, mount, double, open fire, vacate, examine, boot, fix, pass, cultivated, call on the carpet, adjust, lay out, work up, swipe, provoke, talk in terms of something, countermand, bring forth, put forward, move up, mounting, arable, evoke, construct, intensify, house, build, burn down, revoke, swot, molest, testify, salary, repeal, performance-related pay, supercharge, organise, kick up, submit, ready, deepen, jack, nominate, broach, order, elevator, inspire, stir, pitch, ascent, jaw, breed, evidence, bone, assess, the empty nest, tin, shape up, estimate, bring forward, improve, reckon, agitate, compute, tog out, get on, have words, starvation wages, revive, burn, berate, win, brook, go on, lecture, fancy up, turn out, show, corn, tolerate, farm, conjure, get up, make headway, bring about, put in, potty-train, wake up, combine, rig out, found, scuttle, frame, hike, rouse, improve on, produce, call forth, ask, augmentation, shuffle, uptick, effect, earnings, cite, claim back, salary increase, introduce, entrap, perk up, allude to, cost increase, advert, digest, beseech, force out, fuel, adjure, try out, ensnare, prefer, knock up, airlift, fire, install, appeal, moot, levy, forward, chivvy, more, put forth, complot, reverse, foment, facelift, step-up, set up, shake up, remedy, face lifting, soar, overdress, enhance, crop, organize, support, pick up, start, budge, give the sack, gain, ascend, deck out, angle, press, calculate, arrange, bear witness, remonstrate, retch, put together, recover, gussy up, tilt, assert, nurture, invoke, displace, sneak, bid, hothouse, rein, rise up, create, acclivity, ignite, go up, deal, stomach, elicit, prepare, pilfer, assist, extract, fig out, cosmetic surgery, shake, enroll, enter, bring up, aerodynamic lift, custodial, lead, kick upstairs, educe, foster, deck up, optimization, arise, affect, turn on, progress, dress down, ascending, uphold, suggest, urge on, offer, face-lift, call down, gain ground, dress up, spring up, abide, call, shipwrecked, wreck, revitalize, pinch, come on, throw out, cash crop, refer to, swot up, bawl out, nobble, shift, shew, inscribe, give the axe, ski tow, sack, project, hassle, see, inflame, tramp, plus, stimulate, march on, tack together, bone up, advertize, have, purloin, wake, fig up, tack, sharpen, straighten up, chew up, rig, rhytidectomy, provide, entreat, help, take up, advertise, ascension, crop circle, drum, get along, pay, earn, draw out, turn up, proliferation, set ahead, push on, founder, income, up, come up, get ahead, rhytidoplasty, spin, scupper, prove, overturn, impose, correct, cash in, terminate, energise, endure, salvage, maturate, try, propagate, machinate, send away, prink, conflagrate, elevation, crop rotation, mention, annul, awake, chevvy, heave, add to, supplement, come alive, post, domiciliate, enrol, bear, wage, cabbage, nourish, state, devise, establish, mug up, shipwreck
elevate (part of speech: verb)
increase (part of speech: verb)
broaden, increment, extend, addition, augment, grow, add, enlarge, boost, fatten, lengthen, elevate, maximize, inflate, salary increment, heighten, burgeon, increase, promotion, upgrade, reinforce, magnify, widen, expand, advance, accrue, amplify, multiply
heighten (part of speech: verb)
- I'd never try to raise my head again. - "The Desired Woman", Will N. Harben.
- Once, as the talk ran on, Hallin saw him raise his grey eyes to the girl beside him, who certainly did not notice it, and was not thinking of him. - "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- Yet not because of that do I raise my voice here to- day. - "The Weavers, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 14, 2009.