Definition of raise:
- To bring into being; to produce; to cause to arise, come forth, or appear; - often with up.
- To bring to a higher condition or situation; to elevate in rank, dignity, and the like; to increase the value or estimation of; to promote; to exalt; to advance; to enhance; as, to raise from a low estate; to raise to office; to raise the price, and the like.
- To bring to notice; to submit for consideration; as, to raise a point of order; to raise an objection.
- To bring together; to collect; to levy; to get together or obtain for use or service; as, to raise money, troops, and the like.
- To bring up from the lower world; to call up, as a spirit from the world of spirits; to recall from death; to give life to.
- To cause ( the land or any other object) to seem higher by drawing nearer to it; as, to raise Sandy Hook light.
- To cause to arise, grow up, or come into being or to appear; to give rise to; to originate, produce, cause, effect, or the like.
- To cause to grow; to procure to be produced, bred, or propagated; to grow; as, to raise corn, barley, hops, etc.; toraise cattle.
- To cause to rise up, or assume an erect position or posture; to set up; to make upright; as, to raise a mast or flagstaff.
- To cause to rise, as by the effect of leaven; to make light and spongy, as bread.
- To cause to rise; to bring from a lower to a higher place; to lift upward; to elevate; to heave; as, to raise a stone or weight.
- To cause to spring up from a recumbent position, from a state of quiet, or the like; to awaken; to arouse.
- To create or constitute; as, to raise a use, that is, to create it.
- To elevate in degree according to some scale; as, to raise the pitch of the voice; to raise the temperature of a room.
- To form by the accumulation of materials or constituent parts; to build up; to erect; as, to raise a lofty structure, a wall, a heap of stones.
- To give rise to; to set agoing; to occasion; to start; to originate; as, to raise a smile or a blush.
- To give vent or utterance to; to utter; to strike up.
- To increase the strength, vigor, or vehemence of; to excite; to intensify; to invigorate; to heighten; as, to raise the pulse; to raise the voice; to raise the spirits or the courage; to raise the heat of a furnace.
- To let go; as in the command, tacks and sheets, i. e., Let go tacks and sheets.
- To rouse to action; to stir up; to incite to tumult, struggle, or war; to excite.
kick up, fancy up, bring about, jump, set, erect, double, promote, give rise, touch, lambast, grow, rag, swot up, tilt, wage increase, mention, bawl out, budge, hike, paint a picture, countermand, shuffle, provoke, salary, forward, proliferation, rig, call, drum, scupper, assist, elicit, enrol, horizontal, up, ski lift, living, spin, come on, tip up, custodial, lay out, prefer, put together, try, try out, arrange, cut, entreat, farm, foster, contribute, founder, support, bring on, stomach, abstract, demonstrate, wake, shape up, boot, upraise, hook, energise, turn on, shipwreck, plus, tin, allude to, reproof, resurrect, parent, advance, further, kick upstairs, mature, trick out, grind away, touch on, force out, broach, supplement, rescind, ask, crop, adjust, come up, tell of, accretion, nobble, frame, start, swot, plague, refer, order, tack together, call down, calculate, deal, elevate, aid, crop rotation, chide, cash in, move on, roll, rustle, recover, recruit, tog up, remonstrate, potty-train, performance-related pay, affect, bone, discharge, send away, bone up, estimate, lecture, fuel, rise, ready, awake, care for, ignite, molest, rising, shake, impose, scuttle, dismiss, refer to, post, sneak, facelift, rhytidectomy, displace, wage, plagiarize, inspire, abide, pilfer, prink, pass, shift, educe, minimum wage, sex, fig up, endure, turn, aerodynamic lift, deck up, climb, wind up, crop circle, throw out, excite, nourish, expansion, harry, get, prove, rein, house, improve, emanation, entrap, nominate, waken, ascent, deepen, agitate, uphold, press, take to task, go on, posit, turn something inside out, build, put forth, install, turn out, annul, collect, put, bear, draw, burn down, project, cash crop, march on, hiking, chew up, enkindle, pick up, ascending, retch, tog out, harass, ascension, come along, pinch, prepare, go up, uprear, jack, augmentation, name, elevation, suffer, lead, conflagrate, earn, pay, overdress, urge forward, ascend, upgrade, reboot, produce, go through the roof, rise up, note, go off, improve on, appropriate, invoke, construct, hothouse, get ahead, procession, cram, chew out, assess, have words, leaven, salary increase, work up, rhytidoplasty, submit, airlift, custody, regain your feet, give the axe, combine, draw out, trick up, launch, brace, starvation wages, mug up, overturn, add to, create, lambaste, propagate, have, found, sustain, nurture, addendum, acclivity, put up, add up, domiciliate, brook, set up, rebuke, moot, revitalize, remedy, stick out, instal, face lifting, step-up, reproduction, conspire, test, arable, organise, deck out, fig out, cabal, awaken, foment, terminate, conjure, extract, straighten up, assemble, gussy up, chivvy, shipwrecked, claim back, climbing, make, raising, set ahead, attire, pull ahead, advertize, tramp, encourage, talk in terms of something, cosmetic surgery, chivy, pass on, maturate, enhance, arise, give notice, keel over, progress, suggest, get along, inscribe, inflame, establish, rig out, heave, snarf, advertise, wreck, ski tow, develop, reprimand, give the sack, essay, correct, jaw, more, put forward, stir, plagiarise, elevator, testify, wage hike, pitch, throw up, revoke, acquire, perk up, pose, cabbage, piece, repeal, hassle, organize, evidence, evoke, soar, angle, count, enrich, bring out, conjure up, sharpen, burn, arouse, enroll, effectuate, bring up, bid, uprise, dress up, stimulate, show, push on, chevy, scold, get up, urge on, offer, stand, cultivated, intensify, shew, complot, sit up, effect, appeal, heighten, digest, see, vacate, turn up, mount, energize, introduce, enter, kindle, tolerate, salvage, push, revive, assert, nip and tuck, call forth, wake up, corn, cultivate, filch, berate, move up, spring up, determine, can, purloin, gear up, bring forward, beset, call on the carpet, put in, make headway, face-lift, adjure, rouse, machinate, stand up, levy, heaving, take up, gain ground, advert, wind, dress down, cite, chevvy, examine, knock up, win, uptick, mounting, open fire, the empty nest, tack, get on, compound, state, fire, optimization, supercharge, shake up, originate, swipe, help, fix, sack, trounce, gain, provide, lift, income, beseech, reckon, devise, monetize, rising slope, get/leap/rise/stagger etc. to your feet, earnings, come alive, reverse, accrual, compute, cost increase, breed, bear witness, rear, bring forth, ensnare.
- elevate (part of speech: verb)
- increase (part of speech: verb)
- heighten (part of speech: verb)
- "The Desired Woman", Will N. Harben.
- "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "The Weavers, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 14, 2009.