Definition of rake:
- A fissure or mineral vein traversing the strata vertically, or nearly so; - called also rake- vein.
- A loose, disorderly, vicious man; a person addicted to lewdness and other scandalous vices; a debauchee; a roue.
- A toothed machine drawn by a horse, - used for collecting hay or grain; a horserake.
- An implement consisting of a headpiece having teeth, and a long handle at right angles to it, - used for collecting hay, or other light things which are spread over a large surface, or for breaking and smoothing the earth.
- The act of grazing; the cropping of grass.
- the inclination of a mast or funnel, or, in general, of any part of a vessel not perpendicular to the keel.
- The inclination of anything from a perpendicular direction; as, the rake of a roof, a staircase, etc.
- To act the rake; to lead a dissolute, debauched life.
- To collect or draw together with laborious industry; to gather from a wide space; to scrape together; as, to rake together wealth; to rake together slanderous tales; to rake together the rabble of a town.
- To collect with a rake; as, to rake hay; - often with up; as, he raked up the fallen leaves.
- To enfilade; to fire in a direction with the length of; in naval engagements, to cannonade, as a ship, on the stern or head so that the balls range the whole length of the deck.
- To incline from a perpendicular direction; as, a mast rakes aft.
- To pass a rake over; to scrape or scratch with a rake for the purpose of collecting and clearing off something, or for stirring up the soil; as, to rake a lawn; to rake a flower bed.
- To pass with violence or rapidity; to scrape along.
- To scrape or scratch across; to pass over quickly and lightly, as a rake does.
- To search through; to scour; to ransack.
- To use a rake, as for searching or for collecting; to scrape; to search minutely.
- To walk about; to gad or ramble idly.
pitching, lineage, blood, gigolo, graze, skim, lecher, wanton, browse, rip, blood line, delivery, wrinkle, skim over, line of descent, furrow, bloodline, sensualist, run down, cream, plane, poop out, peter out, line, rumple, squanderer, womanizer, crinkle, philanderer, rascal, profligate, split, rakehell, range, descent, scrunch up, crisp, skitter, run over, ruckle, check out, Lothario, sex, slant, read, crop, origin, crosscurrent, seducer, pitch, crease, tar, play out, glance over, libertine, tire, exhaust, crumple, skip, pasture, stock, roue, tide rip, ancestry, scrunch, prodigal, sap, riptide, stemma, pitch shot, snag, tear, Casanova, sales talk, Don Juan, angle, skim off, pedigree, sales pitch, run out, cream off, scan, parentage, lurch, countercurrent, conk out, auction pitch, rent.