Definition of rank :
1. A line of soldiers ranged side by side; - opposed to file. See 1st File, 1 ( a).
2. A row or line; a range; an order; a tier; as, a rank of osiers.
3. An aggregate of individuals classed together; a permanent social class; an order; a division; as, ranks and orders of men; the highest and the lowest ranks of men, or of other intelligent beings.
4. Causing vigorous growth; producing luxuriantly; very rich and fertile; as, rank land.
5. Degree of dignity, eminence, or excellence; position in civil or social life; station; degree; grade; as, a writer of the first rank; a lawyer of high rank.
6. Elevated grade or standing; high degree; high social position; distinction; eminence; as, a man of rank.
7. Grade of official standing, as in the army, navy, or nobility; as, the rank of general; the rank of admiral.
8. Inflamed with venereal appetite.
9. Luxuriant in growth; of vigorous growth; exuberant; grown to immoderate height; as, rank grass; rank weeds.
10. Raised to a high degree; violent; extreme; gross; utter; as, rank heresy.
11. Rankly; stoutly; violently.
12. Strong to the taste.
13. Strong- scented; rancid; musty; as, oil of a rank smell; rank- smelling rue.
14. To be ranged; to be set or disposed, as in a particular degree, class, order, or division.
15. To have a certain grade or degree of elevation in the orders of civil or military life; to have a certain degree of esteem or consideration; as, he ranks with the first class of poets; he ranks high in public estimation.
16. To place abreast, or in a line.
17. To range in a particular class, order, or division; to class; also, to dispose methodically; to place in suitable classes or order; to classify.
18. To take rank of; to outrank.
tramp, extreme, baby, complete, lavish, lay, put, blooming, airwoman, dense, regularize, membership, unpalatable, bushy, forerun, aim, social status, block, blank, wander, wicked, stark, outrageous, striking, prescribe, point, valuate, frowsy, accumulation, flat-out, contingent, airman, tropical, cycle rickshaw, clean, plumb, fertile, noisome, GI, gamy, come in, damn, commissioner, consummate, rancid, come out, out-and-out, reeky, cab, vagabond, hack, insipid, in-depth, stratum, batch, rove, profuse, regularise, abundant, bare, pose, stenchy, dog tag, regular, locate, rich, blatant, brigade, green, heap, prolific, unmitigated, circle, ramble, cotton-picking, pasture, indecent, mephitic, characterize, absolute, stand, roam, deadly, clique, than, damned, govern, bodacious, prosperous, belong, ripe, straddle, flagrant, weedy, unadulterated, cannon fodder, excessive, frowsty, right-down, high, column, commit, core, aromatic, roll, tell, alumnus, outrank, fatigues, target, sound, crop, allocation, advance guard, cabbie, patent, file, musty, echelon, definite, branch, wild, list, assign, rotten, biennial, good, generalship, outright, moldy, site, inedible, capacity, disgusting, regard, arriviste, situation, productive, say, graze, algal, identify, set up, battalion, dreadful, confederate, tainted, layer, conspicuous, whereas, charter member, rampant, obnoxious, club, thin, crying, fort, crew, sweet, localize, swan, run, overgrown, bust, turned, coterie, ordinate, creeping, fragrant, barren, nauseating, crashing, thick, Midland, association, garrison, sparse, obvious, distribute, thorough, aquatic, pure, rank and file, androgynous, unalloyed, dispose, backlog, lush, ranking, simple, stray, allowance, invest, hail, thoroughgoing, social rank, black cab, grenadier, tier, exuberant, arrant, league, bland, very, strong, localise, associate, corps, unconditional, post, arboreal, academician, ill-smelling, stone, row, drift, precede, bracket, straight-out, sheer, unqualified, dead, lay out, categorical, by/in contrast, company, amount, sour, overabundant, fair, compared with/to, the... the..., stinky, luxuriant, direct, detail, downright, disagreeable, egregious, all-out, antecede, utter, enjoin, relative, cabstand, pile, profound, foul, send, bombardier, social station, billet, foot soldier, relatively, next to, perfect, ordain, detachment, noxious, flat, resounding, fare, bad, funky, line up, commando, cavalry, vigorous, head, dictate, Green Beret, seen against something, fusty, stale, consecrate, pronounced, browse, set out, nasty
authority (part of speech: noun)
mandate, prestige, seniority, precedence, clout, purview, powerfulness, empowerment, birthright, entitlement, primacy, stature, title, command, office, steam, force, influence, puissance, faculty, privilege, enfranchisement, might, potency, strength, license, power, kingship, credential, charge, sway, punch, superiority, mastery, authority, cogency, prerogative, commission, domination, mightiness, sovereignty, prepotency
title (part of speech: noun)
category (part of speech: noun)
mold, phylum, brand, race, level, style, genus, feather, category, ilk, people, grain, kingdom, label, strain, step, kind, denomination, variety, taxonomy, genotype, breed, stripe, caste, classification, clan, stock, make, stamp, family, designation, persuasion, degree, species
order (part of speech: verb)
frame, subordinate, cast, mediate, arrange, class, compose, methodize, unsnarl, screen, harmonize, pigeonhole, orchestrate, prepare, place, devise, collate, group, array, sift, sort, stabilize, type, classify, schematize, establish, categorize, adjust, unify, right, integrate, order, structure, stratify, separate, regulate, marshal, chart, organize, shape, set, fix, control, balance, design, settle, support, form, grade, maintain, normalize
fetid (part of speech: adjective)
influence (part of speech: noun)
vulgar (part of speech: adjective)
earthy, crude, scandalous, philistine, cheap, degraded, low, gaudy, common, depraved, barnyard, salty, gross, unpolished, tactless, sordid, revolting, inelegant, homespun, animal, offensive, colloquial, sleazy, unbecoming, base, profane, boorish, ignoble, undignified, rude, cockney, repulsive, raw, crass, glaring, tasteless, coarse, indelicate, ignominious, tawdry, unrefined, barbaric, brazen, shameless, graceless, clumsy, unseemly, in bad taste, ill-bred, chintzy, coarse-grained, rough, outlandish, brutish, obscene, vulgar, idiomatic, garish, broad
rank (part of speech: noun)
measure (part of speech: verb)
sequence (part of speech: verb)
consequence, sequel, progression, subsequence, linkage, link, line, succession, series, chain, queue, legacy, succeed, follow, arrangement, align, course, thread, concatenate, gamut, consecutiveness, concatenation, progress, sequence, train, string, lineage, consecution, procession
calculate (part of speech: verb)
systematize, figure, calculate, reckon, quantify, quantize, multiply, compute, count, think, plot, sum, gauge, conclude, suppose, value, consider, total, weigh, scheme, guess, schedule, assess, tally, determine, deduce, estimate, surmise, plan, approximate, presume, score, study, rationalize, rate, infer, measure, judge, account, evaluate, add, divide, program, triangulate, appraise, enumerate
calculation (part of speech: noun)
approximation, conclusion, computation, inference, arithmetic, algorithm, division, valuation, judgement, estimation, measurement, thought, calculus, enumeration, assessment, consideration, reckoning, evaluation, quantification, calculation, multiplication, algebra, mathematics, presumption, supposition, triangulation, system, appraisal, method, statistics, deduction, determination
- She was a princess in rank, and a queen in looks. - "The Log of a Noncombatant", Horace Green.
- There were sent three of the family of the Fabii, persons of high rank and distinction in the city. - "Plutarch-Lives-of-the-noble-Grecians-and-Romans", Clough, Arthur Hugh.
- She had moreover something,- not much indeed, but still something,- of that feeling which made the Pallisers terrible to the imagination, because of their rank and wealth. - "Can You Forgive Her?", Anthony Trollope.