Definition of rasp:
- A coarse file, on which the cutting prominences are distinct points raised by the oblique stroke of a sharp punch, instead of lines raised by a chisel, as on the true file.
- Hence, figuratively: To grate harshly upon; to offend by coarse or rough treatment or language; as, some sounds rasp the ear; his insults rasped my temper.
- The raspberry.
- To rub or file with a rasp; to rub or grate with a rough file; as, to rasp wood to make it smooth; to rasp bones to powder.
bit, crack, Allen wrench, adjustable wrench, click, scratch, scratch, applicator, bradawl, blow, clash, crunch, chink, bellows, box end wrench, blowlamp, clack, awl, clatter, bump, cough, clip-clop, run, knead, buff, ding, buzz, wood file, clink, blowtorch, jar, beat, sounds, burble, babble, clangor, rasping.
- "The Further Adventures of Jimmie Dale", Frank L. Packard.
- "Eight Harvard Poets", E. Estlin Cummings S. Foster Damon J. R. Dos Passos Robert Hillyer R. S. Mitchell.
- "Gambler's World", John Keith Laumer.