Definition of rate :
1. A tax or sum assessed by authority on property for public use, according to its income or value; esp., in England, a local tax; as, parish rates; town rates.
2. Established portion or measure; fixed allowance.
3. Order; arrangement.
4. Ratification; approval.
5. That which is established as a measure or criterion; degree; standard; rank; proportion; ratio; as, a slow rate of movement; rate of interest is the ratio of the interest to the principal, per annum.
6. The class of a merchant vessel for marine insurance, determined by its relative safety as a risk, as A1, A2, etc.
7. The gain or loss of a timepiece in a unit of time; as, daily rate; hourly rate; etc.
8. The order or class to which a war vessel belongs, determined according to its size, armament, etc.; as, first rate, second rate, etc.
9. To assess for the payment of a rate or tax.
10. To be set or considered in a class; to have rank; as, the ship rates as a ship of the line.
11. To chide with vehemence; to scold; to censure violently.
12. To make an estimate.
13. To ratify.
14. To set a certain estimate on; to value at a certain price or degree.
15. To settle the relative scale, rank, position, amount, value, or quality of; as, to rate a ship; to rate a seaman; to rate a pension.
16. Valuation; price fixed with relation to a standard; cost; charge; as, high or low rates of transportation.
enjoin, relation, proportion, come in, comparison, valuate, tread, commit, post, yard, size up, wander, mark, outrank, direct, run, tell, ordain, target, respect, aim, swan, locate, prize, put, esteem, merit, prescribe, crop, quota, get, roam, site, govern, straddle, gait, send, gain, stride, lay out, earn, come out, ramble, pose, ordinate, vagabond, treasure, rove, distribute, deem, roll, stray, position, tempo, say, appreciate, footstep, degree, charge per unit, localise, deserve, identify, dictate, browse, win, percentage, set out, prise, graze, sum up, drift, pasture, incidence, regularise, localize, set up, frequency, station, invest, assay, point, tramp, lay, pace, range, number, regularize, relationship, standard, step, consecrate
measure (part of speech: verb)
measurement (part of speech: noun)
calculate (part of speech: verb)
systematize, figure, calculate, reckon, quantify, quantize, multiply, compute, count, think, plot, sum, gauge, conclude, suppose, value, consider, total, weigh, scheme, guess, schedule, assess, tally, determine, deduce, estimate, surmise, plan, approximate, presume, score, study, rationalize, rank, infer, measure, judge, account, evaluate, add, divide, program, triangulate, appraise, enumerate
order (part of speech: verb)
frame, subordinate, cast, mediate, arrange, class, compose, methodize, unsnarl, screen, harmonize, pigeonhole, orchestrate, prepare, place, devise, collate, group, array, sift, sort, stabilize, type, classify, schematize, establish, categorize, adjust, unify, right, integrate, order, structure, stratify, separate, regulate, marshal, chart, organize, shape, set, fix, control, balance, design, settle, support, form, grade, maintain, normalize
speed (part of speech: noun)
price (part of speech: noun)
- At any rate it was something to take note of. - "The Saint", Antonio Fogazzaro Commentator: William Roscoe Thayer.
- I'm done for at any rate! - "The School by the Sea", Angela Brazil.
- " We're safe enough for the time being, at any rate," he declared. - "The Boy Allies Under the Sea", Robert L. Drake.