Definition of rather:
- Earlier; sooner; before.
- In some degree; somewhat; as, the day is rather warm; the house is rather damp.
- More properly; more correctly speaking.
- More readily or willingly; preferably.
- Of two alternatives conceived of, this by preference to, or as more likely than, the other; somewhat.
- On the other hand; to the contrary of what was said or suggested; instead.
- Prior; earlier; former.
quite, pretty, most assuredly, sort of, big, instead, alternatively, by all means, kind of, earlier, certainly, quite a, kinda, or else, of course, fairly, more or less, quite an, no doubt about it, sooner, preferably.