Definition of realism:
- As opposed to idealism, the doctrine that in sense perception there is an immediate cognition of the external object, and our knowledge of it is not mediate and representative.
- As opposed to nominalism, the doctrine that genera and species are real things or entities, existing independently of our conceptions. According to realism the Universal exists ante rem ( Plato), or in re ( Aristotle).
- Fidelity to nature or to real life; representation without idealization, and making no appeal to the imagination; adherence to the actual fact.
- "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "Robert Browning", Edward Dowden.
- "The Flirt", Booth Tarkington.