Definition of recalcitrant:
recusant, headstrong, restiff, obstreperous, scratchy, frisky, critical, difficult, incompliant, fidgety, contumacious, untoward, uncontrollable, techy, awkward, cranky, intractable, mulish, rebel, vicious, willful, tetchy, wild, froward, refractory, peckish, testy, delicate, pettish, restless, skittish, intolerable, defiant, restive, petulant, lawless, incontrollable, noncompliant, impossible, order, peevish, fretful, trying, peace, fractious, thorny, control, indocile, impatient, nettlesome, resist, testing, resentful, disorderly, irritable.
- defiant (part of speech: adjective)
- unwilling (part of speech: adjective)
disobedient (part of speech: adjective)
- out of control,
- "John Knox and the Reformation", Andrew Lang.
- "A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis", Melvin Powers.
- "The Judgment House", Gilbert Parker.