Definition of recognize :
1. To acknowledge acquaintance with, as by salutation, bowing, or the like.
2. To avow knowledge of; to allow that one knows; to consent to admit, hold, or the like; to admit with a formal acknowledgment; as, to recognize an obligation; to recognize a consul.
3. To enter an obligation of record before a proper tribunal; as, A B recognized in the sum of twenty dollars.
4. To know again; to perceive the identity of, with a person or thing previously known; to recover or recall knowledge of.
5. To reconnoiter.
6. To review; to reexamine.
7. To show appreciation of; as, to recognize services by a testimonial.
fill in, name, cognise, cognize, manage, key out, bed, clear, receipt, actualise, certify, get laid, appreciate, have intercourse, blob, signalize, grapple, earn, love, fare, have sex, have it off, approve, be intimate, choose, write out, describe, differentiate, gain, sleep together, hump, acknowledge, severalize, bring in, avow, separate, roll in the hay, get it on, live, recognise, blot, have it away, contend, tell, notice, own, select, admit, concede, get by, pinpoint, sanction, take in, pull in, credit, secernate, distinguish, tell apart, accredit, finger, severalise, blemish, mark, jazz, sight, complete, fill out, recall, agnize, experience, signalise, secern, make love, allow, pick out, lie with, spot, have a go at it, verify, come, get along, cope, agnise, espy, neck, do, accept, bang, fleck, realise, issue, greet, endorse, screw, grant, bonk, do it, make do, make out, confess, key, deal, recollect, see, cut, sleep with, spy, place, take, remember, substantiate, actualize, knowledge, descry, affirm, eff, make
discover (part of speech: verb)
know (part of speech: verb)
- She will soon recognize you, Effie, for what you are. - "A Girl in Ten Thousand", L. T. Meade.
- Lucy did not recognize her. - "Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch", Alice Caldwell Hegan.
- Indeed, by his two tenses, Fowle only meant to recognize the two simple forms of an English verb. - "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.