Definition of recompense :
1. An equivalent returned for anything done, suffered, or given; compensation; requital; suitable return.
2. To give in return; to pay back; to pay, as something earned or deserved.
3. To give recompense; to make amends or requital.
4. To render an equivalent to, for service, loss, etc.; to requite; to remunerate; to compensate.
5. To return an equivalent for; to give compensation for; to atone for; to pay for.
pay off, gratuity, premium, allowance, recoupment, honorarium, contribution, furbish up, mend, fix, pay, fee, reparation, resort, consideration, stipend, spend, indemnify, bushel, reward, finance, renovate, even off, invest in, down payment, reprisal, doctor, remediate, settlement, quittance, wages, damages, counterbalance, overcompensate, make up, remuneration, advance, repair, requital, satisfaction, fund, restore, payback, recreate, touch on, animate, indemnification, indemnity, reanimate, repay, quicken, disburse, revive, deposit, requite, restitution, vivify, salary, payment, even out, compensation, bear the cost/expense etc., amend, hire, earnings, repayment, remittance, pay out, revivify, put up, right, cover, even up
atone (part of speech: verb)
recompense (part of speech: verb)