Definition of reduction:
- The act of reducing, or state of being reduced; conversion to a given state or condition; diminution; conquest; as, the reduction of a body to powder; the reduction of things to order; the reduction of the expenses of government; the reduction of a rebellious province.
- The act or process of reducing. See Reduce, v. t., 6. and To reduce an equation, To reduce an expression, under Reduce, v. t.
- The act, process, or result of reducing; as, the reduction of iron from its ores; the reduction of aldehyde from alcohol.
- The bringing of a syllogism in one of the so- called imperfect modes into a mode in the first figure.
- The correction of observations for known errors of instruments, etc.
- The operation of restoring a dislocated or fractured part to its former place.
- The preparation of the facts and measurements of observations in order to deduce a general result.
- The process of making a copy of something, as a figure, design, or draught, on a smaller scale, preserving the proper proportions.
conversion, diminution, atrophy, cutback, attenuation, demotion, slowdown, decrease, markdown, degradation, constriction, money, rise, drain, minimization, reducing, refinement, devaluation, write-down, decline, step-down, mitigation, depression, syncope, remission, increase, loss, simplification, modification, abridgment, abatement, moderation, taper, slash, modulation, drop-off, increasing, retrenchment, assuagement.
- detraction (part of speech: noun)
- decrease (part of speech: noun)
- discounted price (part of speech: noun)
- shrinkage (part of speech: noun)
- subtraction (part of speech: noun)
- "On The Principles of Political Economy, and Taxation", David Ricardo.
It will give its advice on the establishment of new, or the reduction of old taxes; on the better distribution of the general taxation; on the measures to be taken for the improvement of commerce, and in general on all that concerns the interests of the public Treasury.- "The Roman Question", Edmond About.
- "Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete The Personal And Literary Life Of Samuel Langhorne Clemens", Albert Bigelow Paine Last Updated: February 20, 2009.