Definition of refer:
- Hence: To send or direct away; to send or direct elsewhere, as for treatment, aid, information, decision, etc.; to make over, or pass over, to another; as, to refer a student to an author; to refer a beggar to an officer; to refer a bill to a committee; a court refers a matter of fact to a commissioner for investigation, or refers a question of law to a superior tribunal.
- To carry or send back.
- To carry the mind or thought; to direct attention; as, the preacher referred to the late election.
- To direct inquiry for information or a guarantee of any kind, as in respect to one's integrity, capacity, pecuniary ability, and the like; as, I referred to his employer for the truth of his story.
- To have recourse; to apply; to appeal; to betake one's self; as, to refer to a dictionary.
- To have relation or reference; to relate; to point; as, the figure refers to a footnote.
- To place in or under by a mental or rational process; to assign to, as a class, a cause, source, a motive, reason, or ground of explanation; as, he referred the phenomena to electrical disturbances.
discover, repair, nominate, parent, attend, comprise, impact, involve, disturb, stir, diagnose, affect, confer with, charge, extract, associate, worry, key out, lead, link up, commit, pay heed, advert, signify, doctor, denote, excerpt, touch, continue, appoint, summon, push, match, bear on, arouse, send, call down, look up, tint, confab, designate, cover, link, turn, partake, adjoin, point, interrelate, lift, carry on, abduce, invoke, name, conjure up, reboot, hold, strike, allude to, answer to, reference, remark, put forward, equal, point out, conjure, adduce, occupy, colligate, indicate, used, rear, constitute, give ear, point to, encompass, bear upon, have-to doe with, relegate, extend to, deal with, make, interest, fix, consult, tinge, raise, lay, exemplify, confabulate, run, pertain, tie in, concern, transfer, meet, appertain, announce, list, note, call forth, incorporate, take in, move, uphold, relevant, observe, key, rival, hang, bushel, boot, come to, words, bring up, nurture, hit, belong, furbish up, relate, distinguish, quote, introduce, instance, reach, mend, go, touch on, preserve, tinct, describe, revive, get up, regard, identify, resuscitate, confer, evoke, turn over, contact, include, call, restore, mention, notice, resort, give, cite, elevate, summons.