Definition of reflection:
- A part reflected, or turned back, at an angle; as, the reflection of a membrane.
- An image given back from a reflecting surface; a reflected counterpart.
- Censure; reproach cast.
- Result of meditation; thought or opinion after attentive consideration or contemplation; especially, thoughts suggested by truth.
- Shining; brightness, as of the sun.
- That which is produced by reflection.
- The act of reflecting, or turning or sending back, or the state of being reflected.
- The return of rays, beams, sound, or the like, from a surface. See Angle of reflection, below.
- The reverting of the mind to that which has already occupied it; continued consideration; meditation; contemplation; hence, also, that operation or power of the mind by which it is conscious of its own acts or states; the capacity for judging rationally, especially in view of a moral rule or standard.
- The transference of an excitement from one nerve fiber to another by means of the nerve cells, as in reflex action. See Reflex action, under Reflex.
reflectiveness, slur, smoking gun, account, focus, check, notice, coefficient of reflection, musing, commitment, reflex, observation, illustration, assessment, reprimand, introspection, observance, locution, formulation, bonding, glare, mirror image, air resistance, objurgation, face, reproof, belief, capillary action, soul-searching, disgrace, faith, amplitude, praise, shadow, denunciation, evidence, absorbance, scandal, comment, blame, reproval, disapproval, balance, verbal expression, aspect, proof, reflectivity, impression, disesteem, formula, look, verbalism, imputation, picture, forethought, admonition, construction, likeness, show, opprobrium, debate, philosophy, appearance, saying, reflection factor, demonstration, centripetal force, suggestion, light, sign, calorific, animadversion, upbraiding, reprehension, expression, ideal, note, materialization, advisement, pointer, brainwork, condemnation, censure, mirrored, reflexion, rebuke, watching, same, rumination, glitter, facial expression, reproach, dishonor, criticism, reflectance, chiding, manifestation, mark, the color of someone's money, considerateness, thoughtfulness, repetition, excogitation, contemplation, centrifugal force, attraction, shine, materialisation, grammatical construction.
- idea (part of speech: noun)
- memory (part of speech: noun)
thought (part of speech: noun)
- brain work,
- imitation (part of speech: noun)
- "The Boy Slaves", Mayne Reid.
- "A Damaged Reputation", Harold Bindloss.
- "The Mynns' Mystery", George Manville Fenn.