Definition of refrain:
- The burden of a song; a phrase or verse which recurs at the end of each of the separate stanzas or divisions of a poetic composition.
- To abstain from
- To hold back; to restrain; to keep within prescribed bounds; to curb; to govern.
- To keep one's self from action or interference; to hold aloof; to forbear; to abstain.
intermit, bring to an end, music, desist, chorus, abstain, conclude, undersong, forbear, come to an end, chorus line, leave off, keep, hold back, restraint, strain, hold off, withhold, finish, give over, song, theme.
- cease (part of speech: verb)
- ceases (part of speech: verb)
- "Paris From the "Three Cities"", Emile Zola.
- "Bad Hugh", Mary Jane Holmes.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.