Definition of refuge:
- An expedient to secure protection or defense; a device or contrivance.
- Shelter or protection from danger or distress.
- That which shelters or protects from danger, or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength, or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
- To shelter; to protect.
safe, institution, poorhouse, insane asylum, orphanage, sanctum, mental home, stamping ground, repair, way out, cache, exit, recourse, safety, harborage, stronghold, den, monastery, asylum, guard, port, home, bolt-hole, resort hotel, psychiatric hospital, hermitage, cloister, haunt, retreat, holiday resort, hiding place, alternative, base hit, hideaway, resource, convent, resort, outlet, sanctuary, help, ambush, anchorage, fortress, bema, rubber, mental institution, mental hospital, attack, prophylactic, protection, hangout, condom, safety device, escape, chancel, covert.
- "Taken Alive", E. P. Roe.
- "Forty Years a Gambler on the Mississippi", George H. Devol.
- "The Boy Allies Under the Sea", Robert L. Drake.