Definition of refuse:
- Refused; rejected; hence; left as unworthy of acceptance; of no value; worthless.
- That which is refused or rejected as useless; waste or worthless matter.
- To decline to accept; to reject; to deny the request or petition of; as, to refuse a suitor.
- To deny compliance; not to comply.
- To deny, as a request, demand, invitation, or command; to decline to do or grant.
- To disown.
- To throw back, or cause to keep back ( as the center, a wing, or a flank), out of the regular aligment when troops ar about to engage the enemy; as, to refuse the right wing while the left wing attacks.
dare, abnegate, stand, reject, dissent, lower, retract, food waste, defy, go down, turn away, trash, turn down, bend, abnegate, balk, revoke, traverse, drivel, fend, withstand, disclaim, freeze off, forswear, leavings, rule out, pooh-pooh, scorn, recall, deny, protest, avert, nix, winnow out, garbage, slump, eliminate, spurn, disavow, resist, discard, decline, hold up, correct, lour, recant, abandon, stand firm, disown, litter, hold out, accept, hold, baulk, wane, withhold, jib, scraps, deflect, pass up, abjure, worsen.
- prohibit (part of speech: verb)
- waste (part of speech: noun)
- refuse (part of speech: verb)