Definition of regent:
- A resident master of arts of less than five years' standing, or a doctor of less than twwo. They were formerly privileged to lecture in the schools.
- Especially, one invested with vicarious authority; one who governs a kingdom in the minority, absence, or disability of the sovereign.
- Exercising vicarious authority.
- One of a governing board; a trustee or overseer; a superintendent; a curator; as, the regents of the Smithsonian Institution.
- One who rules or reigns; a governor; a ruler.
- Ruling; governing; regnant.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "The Scottish Chiefs", Jane Porter.
- "The Matador of the Five Towns and Other Stories", Arnold Bennett.