Definition of reis :
1. A common title in the East for a person in authority, especially the captain of a ship.
2. of Rei
3. The word is used as a Portuguese designation of money of account, one hundred reis being about equal in value to eleven cents.
- I told him that I had defrauded a Hungarian gentleman named Timar of ten million reis. - "Timar's Two Worlds", MÃ³r JÃ³kai.
- Thus did the wise and just Asad resolve the difficulty which had arisen, and Oliver- Reis bowed wisely to that decision. - "The Sea-Hawk", Raphael Sabatini.
- It had been the usual custom in the Soudan to spare the employers, who were the most responsible parties, but to punish the small fry, such as vakeels, and the reis, or captains of vessels. - "Ismailia", Samuel W. Baker.