Definition of release :
1. A catch on a motor- starting rheostat, which automatically releases the rheostat arm and so stops the motor in case of a break in the field circuit; also, the catch on an electromagnetic circuit breaker for a motor, which acts in case of an overload.
2. A device adapted to hold or release a device or mechanism as required;
3. A giving up or relinquishment of some right or claim; a conveyance of a man's right in lands or tenements to another who has some estate in possession; a quitclaim.
4. Discharge from obligation or responsibility, as from debt, penalty, or claim of any kind; acquittance.
5. In the block- signaling system, a printed card conveying information and instructions to be used at intermediate sidings without telegraphic stations.
6. Relief from care, pain, or any burden.
7. The act of letting loose or freeing, or the state of being let loose or freed; liberation or discharge from restraint of any kind, as from confinement or bondage.
8. The act of opening the exhaust port to allow the steam to escape.
9. The act or manner of ending a sound.
10. To lease again; to grant a new lease of; to let back.
11. To let go, as a legal claim; to discharge or relinquish a right to, as lands or tenements, by conveying to another who has some right or estate in possession, as when the person in remainder releases his right to the tenant in possession; to quit.
12. To let loose again; to set free from restraint, confinement, or servitude; to give liberty to, or to set at liberty; to let go.
13. To loosen; to relax; to remove the obligation of; as, to release an ordinance.
14. To relieve from something that confines, burdens, or oppresses, as from pain, trouble, obligation, penalty.
wash up, let off, forfeit, pink slip, turn, sap, force out, dissolve, carrier bag, spare, push button, passing game, boot, button, give off, red, electrical outlet, bother, call on, set off, dislodge, keep, throw overboard, run, termination, discontinue, secrete, judgement of dismissal, emission, outlet, relax, cashier, expel, unload, reverse, douse, uncover, kick, exhaust, sacking, disburden, make out, spillage, judgment of dismissal, tumble, disoblige, divergence, issue, passing play, electric arc, press release, dethaw, extend, change by reversal, firing off, melt, bend, retire, drop by the wayside, deviation, work, venthole, passage, spill, fall, complete, departure, deform, bagging, tucker out, unfreeze, wasteweir, poke, egress, inflammation, play out, stretch out, empty, exit, kick out, assoil, drum out, shake, push, boot out, venting, handout, exsert, introduce, sackful, volcano, acquittance, breathing out, blowhole, disembarrass, let go of, wall plug, squirt, can, rout, incommode, cut, loose, submit, go forth, exhalation, eat up, overtaking, eject, give out, fire, unburden, sledding, divulge, twist, tire, set down, put under, cede, sour, clitoris, hammock, chemise, difference, write, deprivation, electric discharge, step down, spillway, pouch, emit, squeeze out, shift, trouble, change state, unloose, sales outlet, run through, freeing, use up, rick, unthaw, flex, expelling, dismission, publish, move around, sprain, anaesthetize, wipe out, throw in the towel, ax, kindling, vent-hole, throw off, unwrap, wrench, exclude, get out, terminate, arc, bounce, clit, loss, bring out, turf out, thaw, go off, unveil, wrick, anesthetize, turn over, foreswear, shake off, discommode, chuck up the sponge, firing, sack, give, spring, stretch forth, become, smother, discover, drop off, plough, tone ending, come out, lay off, let out, give forth, muster out, move, ignition, publicity, paper bag, pocket, hold out, bring on, put down, chuck out, dispense with, unblock, mercantile establishment, qualifying, way out, tucker, going away, stop, retail store, throw out, drop out, run down, pass, send forth, turn out, manumit, beat, anaesthetise, deplete, let on, print, leaving, oust, electric outlet, personnel casualty, forego, unloosen, justify, throw in, fall by the wayside, going, come forth, produce, grow, put out, write out, supply, wall socket, propaganda, cease, consume, spark, sac, ferment, sacque, lighting, give away, reconcile, eat, red ink, expiry, electric receptacle, emerge, rout out, anesthetise, outpouring, inconvenience, plow, leave office
dismissal (part of speech: noun)
loosen (part of speech: verb)
open (part of speech: verb)
acquittal (part of speech: noun)
liberate (part of speech: verb)
slacken (part of speech: verb)
relinquish (part of speech: verb)
catharsis (part of speech: noun)
acquit (part of speech: verb)
news (part of speech: noun)
riddance (part of speech: noun)
death (part of speech: noun)
free (part of speech: verb)
dismiss (part of speech: verb)
relinquishment (part of speech: noun)
permit (part of speech: verb)
rid (part of speech: verb)
liberation (part of speech: noun)
freedom (part of speech: noun)
- He saw that to him she looked for release from that wretched alternative- and he had come to tell her that, beyond a deep and sincere friendship, he had nothing to offer her. - "The Tempering", Charles Neville Buck.
- You won't release us now? - "Dave Dashaway and his Hydroplane", Roy Rockwood.
- That you release the Baron von Kerber to- night. - "The Wheel O' Fortune", Louis Tracy.