Definition of relief:
- A fine or composition which the heir of a deceased tenant paid to the lord for the privilege of taking up the estate, which, on strict feudal principles, had lapsed or fallen to the lord on the death of the tenant.
- Release from a post, or from the performance of duty, by the intervention of others, by discharge, or by relay; as, a relief of a sentry.
- That which removes or lessens evil, pain, discomfort, uneasiness, etc.; that which gives succor, aid, or comfort; also, the person who relieves from performance of duty by taking the place of another; a relay.
- The act of relieving, or the state of being relieved; the removal, or partial removal, of any evil, or of anything oppressive or burdensome, by which some ease is obtained; succor; alleviation; comfort; ease; redress.
- The appearance of projection given by shading, shadow, etc., to any figure.
- The elevations and surface undulations of a country.
- The height to which works are raised above the bottom of the ditch.
- The projection of a figure above the ground or plane on which it is formed.
reliever, backing, contentment, mitigation, aggressor, redress, ecstasy, relievo, welfare, stand-in, acupuncture, active duty, career woman, balm, pleasure, dole, patronage, step change, junior, duty officer, reinforcement, relief pitcher, moderation, abetment, commuter, residuum, turnaround, associate, cowboy, computer backup, abatement, cause, delight, pinch hitter, sub, easiness, ministration, donate, moderateness, increase, designated hitter, rest, joy, Chancellor of the Exchequer, time out, cheer, drug, acupressure, assist, blackout, desk person, residual, easement, apparatchik, sculptural relief, anaesthesia, battle cry, quietus, handout, jollity, self-improvement, means test, configuration, boost, medicine, hand, comforter, backup, comforting, backup man, simpleness, locum tenens, reserve, nursing, community service, euphoria, palliation, eternal rest, artificial insemination, decoration, charitable, artificial feeding, succour, collection box, the social, the Boston Tea Party, hypodermic, public assistance, 1099, fill-in, opposite number, embossment, air cover, aftercare, makeover, ease, informality, easing, nirvana, alternative medicine, respite, active service, simplicity, diversion, breadwinner, auxiliary, succor, cover, child benefit, championship, colleague, beleaguered, anesthesia, musical accompaniment, corporate welfare, sleep, shelter, belligerent, subordinate, counterpart, superior, leap, remainder, bombed-out, projection, happiness, food, alleviation, temperance, balance, satisfaction, acupuncture, eternal sleep, audit, clothing, accompaniment, charity, 1040 form, imprint, chargeable, assuagement, child support, claw back, contour, ancillary, upswing, remission, alms, residue, a change for the better/worse, aromatherapy, analgesia, workmate, substitute, community chest, fireman, second-stringer, allowance, black out, relaxation, allayer, rilievo, co-worker, replacement, rest period, improvement, variety, assisted living, social security, elation, development, change, repose.
- relief (part of speech: noun)
- dismissal (part of speech: noun)
- rescue (part of speech: noun)
- sculpture (part of speech: noun)
- condolence (part of speech: noun)
- interruption (part of speech: noun)
- aid (part of speech: verb)
- "A Damaged Reputation", Harold Bindloss.
- "A Little Girl in Old Philadelphia", Amanda Minnie Douglas.
- "Lyrics from the Song-Books of the Elizabethan Age", Various.