Definition of religious:
- A person bound by monastic vows, or sequestered from secular concern, and devoted to a life of piety and religion; a monk or friar; a nun.
- Belonging to a religious order; bound by vows.
- Of or pertaining to religion; concerned with religion; teaching, or setting forth, religion; set apart to religion; as, a religious society; a religious sect; a religious place; religious subjects, books, teachers, houses, wars.
- Possessing, or conforming to, religion; pious; godly; as, a religious man, life, behavior, etc.
- Scrupulously faithful or exact; strict.
vehement, interfaith, absolution, ghostly, moral, divine, phantasmal, spectral, passional, churchgoing, ghostlike, clerical, fervid, agnostic, demonstrative, article of faith, church, devout, warm-blooded, glowing, torrid, sacred, religion, warm, sacerdotal, blasphemous, ascetic, sainted, fanatic, blazing, scrupulous, archangel, devotional, perfervid, blasphemy, careful, blessing, puritanical, pietistic, minute, supernatural, fiery, canonical, passionate, spiritual, god-fearing, burning, sacrosanct, emotional, unworldly, bless, liturgical, blaspheme, reverential, intense, hot-blooded, impassioned, charged, angel, pious, churchly, atheistic, angelic, flaming, worldly, methodical, priestly, apparitional, pietistical, pontifical, saintly, ardent, feverish, superheated, incandescent, ethical, red-hot, ecclesiastical, secular, observant, thorough, unearthly, churchlike.
- orthodox (part of speech: adjective)
- theological (part of speech: adjective)
- pious (part of speech: adjective)
- "The History of Antiquity, Vol. II (of VI)", Max Duncker.
- "The Young Man and the World", Albert J. Beveridge.
- "A Red Wallflower", Susan Warner.