Definition of repose:
- A lying at rest; sleep; rest; quiet.
- A rest; a pause.
- Figuratively, to remain or abide restfully without anxiety or alarms.
- Rest of mind; tranquillity; freedom from uneasiness; also, a composed manner or deportment.
- That harmony or moderation which affords rest for the eye; - opposed to the scattering and division of a subject into too many unconnected parts, and also to anything which is overstrained; as, a painting may want repose.
- To cause to stop or to rest after motion; hence, to deposit; to lay down; to lodge; to reposit.
- To lay at rest; to cause to be calm or quiet; to compose; to rest, - often reflexive; as, to repose one's self on a couch.
- To lie at rest; to rest.
- To lie; to be supported; as, trap reposing on sand.
- To place, have, or rest; to set; to intrust.
pause, shack, eternal rest, field pansy, pose, put, relaxation behavior, domicile, stop, set, place down, land, easiness, start, ataraxis, comfort, occupy, residual, inhere, disgrace, enter, cessation, remain, slumber, liberalisation, perch, simpleness, residuum, love-in-idleness, pillow, discharge, set down, intermission, lull, sleep, informality, pink of my John, bring down, stay, respite, demean, lodge in, write down, recreation, two-eyed violet, roost, drop, horizontal, simplicity, dwell, balance, residue, exist, take a breather, placidity, reside, continue, consist, silence, lean back, serenity, quietude, lie, lay, take down, recumb, public security, ease, destroy, peace, liberalization, domiciliate, peace of mind, peace treaty, tranquillity, wild pansy, drop off, quietus, rest, rest period, pacification, quiet, loosening, recline, unload, peacefulness, relaxation, slackening, breathe, get down, peaceableness, heartsease, eternal sleep, relaxation method, degrade, relief, remainder, record, catch one's breath, stretch, place, put-down, tranquility, position.
- leisure (part of speech: noun)
- peace (part of speech: noun)
- calm (part of speech: noun)
- relax (part of speech: verb)
- rest (part of speech: verb)
- repose (part of speech: verb)
- "The True George Washington [10th Ed.]", Paul Leicester Ford.
- "Max", Katherine Cecil Thurston.
- "The Infernal Marriage", Benjamin Disraeli.