Definition of represent :
1. To bring a sensation of into the mind or sensorium; to cause to be known, felt, or apprehended; to present.
2. To exhibit to another mind in language; to show; to give one's own impressions and judgement of; to bring before the mind; to set forth; sometimes, to give an account of; to describe.
3. To form or image again in consciousness, as an object of cognition or apprehension ( something which was originally apprehended by direct presentation). See Presentative, 3.
4. To portray by mimicry or action of any kind; to act the part or character of; to personate; as, to represent Hamlet.
5. To portray by pictoral or plastic art; to delineate; as, to represent a landscape in a picture, a horse in bronze, and the like.
6. To present again or anew; to present by means of something standing in the place of; to exhibit the counterpart or image of; to typify.
7. To serve as a sign or symbol of; as, mathematical symbols represent quantities or relations; words represent ideas or things.
8. To stand in the place of; to supply the place, perform the duties, exercise the rights, or receive the share, of; to speak and act with authority in behalf of; to act the part of ( another); as, an heir represents his ancestor; an attorney represents his client in court; a member of Congress represents his district in Congress.
gift, epitomize, jibe, signify, exist, bring, construe, typify, cost, reconcile, embody, fiddle, recreate, stand for, Be, set forth, reproduce, playact, consist, fend for, set up, serve, deliver, agree, symbolise, express, defend, dally, do, lay out, spiel, sell for, meet, speak for, award, enact, acquaint, epitomise, work, settle, constitute, flirt, introduce, pay off, fight back, intend, give, translate, performing arts, move, play, map, distort, mean, wager, hold still for, act as, take on, name, describe, oppose, misinterpret, impersonate, equal, gibe, fabricate, play-act, dissemble, hold, nominate, exemplify, cook up, submit, steward, match, present, manufacture, even out, compensate, make, incorporate, salute, follow, roleplay, invent, even off, plant, maintain, check, toy, run, act for, counterbalance, trifle, array, mirror, support, design, patch up, appoint, realize, hold office, equate, fight, factor, demonstrate, demo, found, diddle, read, stage, exhibit, even up, symbolize, rede, instance, live, body forth, map out, conciliate, face, interpret, encounter, limn, set, champion, fit, personify, confront, wreak, set out, correct, institute, symbol, comprise, action, range, fight down, pose, act, pretend, tally, bet, perform, understand, correspond, make up, designate, see, guard, make for, denote, pay, contain, image, catch up with, arrange, establish, show, behave, picture
outline (part of speech: verb)
substitute (part of speech: verb)
represent (part of speech: verb)
- I don't see how you can represent both of us, old chap. - "From the Housetops", George Barr McCutcheon.
- But I represent your father- and you know what he would have felt. - "Delia Blanchflower", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- But they in no way represent the attitude of the people of India. - "India and the Indians", Edward F. Elwin.