Definition of repress :
1. Hence, to check; to restrain; to keep back.
2. The act of repressing.
3. To press again.
4. To press back or down effectually; to crush down or out; to quell; to subdue; to supress; as, to repress sedition or rebellion; to repress the first risings of discontent.
hold, slim down, constrain, confine, crucify, silence, subject, lose weight, tie down, stamp down, deoxidise, keep down, master, deoxidize, crack down, damp, cut down, limit, put down, strangle, tighten, curb, restrain, thin out, slenderize, subjugate, conquer, nullify, foreshorten, decoct, withhold, pen in, keep under, boil down, annul, asphyxiate, surmount, restrict, suffocate, strangulate, trim down, smother, cut back, come down, concentrate, throttle, halter, bottle up, infringe, slim, stifle, mute, bridle, trim back, shorten, submerge, control, put out, bring down, clamp down, pocket, circumscribe, subordinate, hold in, cut, keep, tone down, hold back, squash, muffle, conceal, surround, keep in, number, reduce, hold down, subdue, crush, swallow, burke, dampen, keep back, tame, abbreviate, shrink, thin, fence in, overcome, contract, squelch, get over, invalidate, deal with, sink, snuff, void, scale down, fetter, avoid, trim, manage, quench, abridge, quash, mortify, cramp, melt off, gag, chasten, dilute, dull, restraint, hamper, slap down, choke, bind
oppose (part of speech: verb)
defy, check, conflict, antagonize, confront, hinder, counterattack, object, counteract, cross, meddle, dispute, intercept, impede, obstruct, contradict, resist, interfere, repulse, oppose, fight, repel, inhibit, rebuff, counter, protest, disagree, challenge, suppress, oppress
- Calmly as she tried to speak, she could not entirely repress an under- note of apprehension. - "Out of the Primitive", Robert Ames Bennet.
- Mrs. Richards continued, her voice choked with the sobs she could not repress, when she heard herself called mother by the girl she had so wronged. - "Bad Hugh", Mary Jane Holmes.
- It cost me an effort to repress an exclamation. - "The Mistress of Bonaventure", Harold Bindloss.